Wood woker table to buy or plans for one?

OK here goes

I don't do any woodworking and don't have any desire to start

What I want is a stand up computer and work desk.......

5 foot long and 20" deep. I want to be able to sit in a high stool or stand up to do things on my computer, pay bills , etc. I want to quit sitting too much.... that's the idea for a stand up height bench

here is another requirement..... I must be able to break down said table for easy movement by one person... myself

Any ideas?

Reply to
me

Have no idea why you're posting here but since you found us - see if you can't find an IKEA newsgroup or try here

S.

Reply to
Bob S.

There are several people on this list who are qualified to accept a commission to build what you want.

You're biggest problem will be getting one of them to accept your commission.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

First thing is where in the world are you, and secondly how much do you want to pay?

Custom-made, custom-designed bespoke furniture is cheaper than you might and is affordable, if you _really_ want a desk to your specific design. Costs more than cheap factory furniture, costs less than high-end factory furniture that's all about adding to the pricetag in pretentious shops. OTOH, you need to deal direct with the makers, and they probably need to be local if it's not to be unworkable. Ask around, wherever woodworkers are to be found (web, galleries, colleges, real toolshops, real timberyards)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yes, go to you local hardware store ask to see their assortment of screw on legs for tables. These are attached with four screws in a plate, into which screws the leg itself. Then buy a section of inexpensive counter top (they will cut it to length for you) and ask your friendly neighborhood store assistant to select screws that will hold the plates to the countertop and not go through (if not too busy and in a good mood, might even do it for you). Take it home, screw the leg plates on the section of countertop near the four corners, screw the legs into the plates and "volia!"

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Thanks I will look into that

The problem is that I want a bar height or stand up height table. I can find all kinds of cheap reg tables at 30" height..... but nothing cheap at 42" height!

Reply to
me

Use four pieces of 3/4" galvanized pipe at a length of your choice, four pipe flanges,

four crutch type feet to slip over the ends of the pipe and a can of spray paint.

Reply to
Nova

hello,

look at the desk I made for my wife at:

(Jaimle's desk version 2) it's a little bit deeper than your request and slightly longer (but not as high)... the 4 feet can be knocked out for easy storage and movement... I can get you plans if you want to, or even make one for you if you are local...

where do you live?

cyrille

Reply to
cyrille de brebisson

If you have a semi-permanent location that you want to put it, then you might consider a pair of these and easily construct a higher table.

Upscale

That might work except that I thought work bench height was 40-42 inches? No?

Reply to
me

Guess it depends on how tall you are.

Reply to
Upscale

This is more along the lines of a workbench, however, take a look at

although you may want to be sitting down when you look at the prices of complete benches plus shipping. ;^)

As mentioned here in the group, take a look at IKEA. I know for a fact that they make an adjustable desk that is reminiscent of a drafting table in the sense that it can be raised so that you can stand at it and is fully adjustable. HTH.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis

Got a whole bunch of them--tables, straight desks in various lengths, left corner, right corner, and components. Go to ikea.com and search on "galant".

Reply to
J. Clarke