WOOD TURNING TOOLS AND JIGS

is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

Be vewee vewee cayuful wiff dat ahm bwace thing at da bottom of duh page - wabbit.

I know two wood turners who were severly injured when using such an "arm brace" - one had to have shoulder surgery and the other tore a floating rib from the cartlige it was connected to. Even a one horse power motor can kick - hard - if there's a bad "catch".

It's preferebale to have the turning tool get damaged than to have a human being holding it damaged.

Word to the wise?

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

Mon, May 14, 2007, 12:12pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@accesscom.com (charlieb) doth warneth: =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0Be vewee vewee cayuful wiff dat ahm bwace thing =A0 at da bottom of duh page - wabbit.

Well Doc, I hadn't scrolled down that far. I' wouldn't have made one in the first place, because I can't see any control gained. In fact, to me, it looks like it'd be awkward to use, with a certain lack of control. I can see where it looks like it could be an issue getting loose from it in a hurry. Most important of all, it'd still look Mickey Mouse, even painted yellow.

JOAT What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

There is a commercialproduct available - think it's called The Stinger. Apparently it was designed for Deep Hollow Form turners - 20 to 24" of gouge hanging beyond the tool rest. Dpn't think it comes in yellow though so if you want it to match the rest of your tools you're gonna have to paint it yourself.

BTW - do you use Sunflower Yellow, Canary Yellow or Dewalt Yellow. (women apparently can distinguish between very subtle shades of colors due to more cones, or maybe it's rods, than men. Guys have Black, White, Gray, Yellow, Green Blue, Red, Orange and maybe Silver and Gold (oops - and Gun Metal Blue) . A guy would never come up with Mauve or Peach, Fuschia or Teal.

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

Mon, May 14, 2007, 10:11pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@accesscom.com (charlieb) doth query: =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0BTW - do you use Sunflower Yellow, Canary Yellow or Dewalt =A0 Yellow. (women apparently can distinguish between very =A0 subtle shades of colors due to more cones, or maybe it's =A0 rods, than men. Guys have Black, White, Gray, Yellow, Green =A0 Blue, Red, Orange and maybe Silver and Gold (oops - and =A0 Gun Metal Blue) . A guy would never come up with Mauve or =A0 Peach, Fuschia or Teal.

My preference is bright yellow, but believe the last I got was buttercup yellow - no bright in stock. Tha's oil based, for metal. For wood, I get latex (water cleanup), in black, white, red, yellow, blue, dark green (it's really hard to mix a decent green on your onn), and custom mix any colors I want - I've got a couple of links on mixing different colors saved and that makes for good repeat conistency, and aves a lot of guesswork.

Hah, I can tell all thoe color/tints too. I I just read the label. All those so-called colors were invented by some artiste somewhere. Man has 3 colors - that looks good, I don't like it, and, if that's what you want..