Looking for an old book on furniture

Folks -

I remember a long time ( 30 yrs + ) a book on simple to build furniture. Mostly dimensional lumber, little cutting but excellent function.

I thought it was furniture in 24 hours but was proven wrong. I am asking can anyone recall this venerable volume?

--thanks!

Reply to
Dan

Check this out:

have seen that book and it is pretty spiff in person.

I also Googled " 2X4 furniture " and it came up with more.

Those books always seem to be around at the Half Priced bookstore, you might want to try there as well.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

The funny thing is, hardly any of the projects in that book are made of dimensional lumber, despite the title.

I'd be very cautious about the designs in there. They tend to take no account of wood movement, and if you look closely at the pictures, it shows.

Reply to
boorite

dimensional lumber, despite the title.

There are several books of that ilk easily found. I was trying to give the OP hint by posting a link to AMAZON. The point being that these types of books and designs are easily found.

account of wood movement, and if you look >closely at the pictures, it shows.

If I actually knew you, I would suspect you were kidding. I am not sure that someone. I am not sure that someone that wants "simple to build furniture" that requires "little cutting" gives much of a crap about wood movement.

Hopefully >anyone< building furniture out of framing grade #2 or #3 pine, fir or hemlock understands they are NOT using premium grade kiln dried material.

Maybe not...

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

account of wood movement, and if you look >closely at the pictures, it shows.

That's odd. I don't see anything to indicate that I'm kidding.

He should, or else his projects will tend to come apart. I'm pretty sure I'd give a crap about that.

Simple to build doesn't have to mean poorly designed. I just want to caution people to look closely at the designs in that book before building them. Then look at the pictures of completed projects in there and see how they seem to hold up. No big deal. If you don't give a crap about wood movement, then maybe somebody who does will read this. It is, after all, a woodworking group.

Reply to
boorite

I'd give a crap about that.

people to look closely at the designs in >that book before building them. Then look at the pictures of >completed projects in there and see how they seem to hold >up. No big deal.

Very true.

will read this. It is, after all, a >woodworking group.

I laughed my ass off when I read your post. good points, all well taken. And you are quite right. I promise I'll wait a beat before I start hammering the keyboard next time.

Although, your pithy response is still making me snicker...

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Yo - people!!

Chill a bit.

The truth of the matter is that furniture fits what it does. Some folks have a cabinet makers mindset, making sure the piece will last and bring pride and joy to many generations. Others want a piece to follow thru a few seasons. Some build to fit a need like shelving in the basement for the boxes of life.

This is a wood working group, and many mindsets live here. Trying to be open enough to ask questions as well as point out things -- after all, I may not know but want to know, and I may know but it may not matter.

The book I am looking for had pieces that would not meet a cabinet makers mind -- They were all easy to build ( even nail positions were on the schematics! ) and fairly useful. But I would have guaged them at 10 to 15 years useful life before being delegated to the garden shed or the heating stove..

still looking.

--dan

Reply to
Dan