Wood Storage

I've been looking at wood storage options. I have some wall space I'd like to use. There are some commercial racks available and some shelving options I've been looking at. I'm trying to figure out what'll give me the best bang for the buck, with a good mix of storage capacity and actually finding what I'm looking for.

What do you guys use? Do you have any favorites?

If I store boards flat on shelves, how close do the supports need to be to prevent bowing?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Did you do an image search using your favorite search engine?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

This product is quite robust - but a bit ugly.

Look around for better prices - or check the Re-Store / used outlets. Check their " Instr" link for some install advice - good to consider, regardless of the product that you buy. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I use that system too and in probably 15-16 years it has worked out fine. It is outrageously strong and the surface treatment seems to resist corrosion perfectly. Mine is anchored into a concrete-block basement wall. I guess that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I am always happy with a product that does exactly what it claims it will do.

Reply to
John McGaw

I used the wall lumber storage system from Rockler, and designed and built a sheet goods rack to go underneath.

I don't see the racks I used on Rockler's website and it looks like they've cheapened their offering (and raised the price), and distance between standards they show on their website is ridiculous.

In any event, here's mine, although I'd be tempted to build them myself today.

Wall Storage:

Sheet goods:

Dimensions:

As Built:

Been using it for about five years now and I'm basically happy with it for the size of the shop ... but it is a desperation measure due to shop size.

Reply to
Swingman

I use these that I from from Griz about 10 years ago. IIRC Woodcraft sells this stile too. Very HD.

Leon

As opposed to a "rail"? ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

When I built my shed (12'x10'), I doubled-up four of the studs along one side, notching the inner face of each pair of studs sufficent to slide a length of two-by-four horizontally between the the two studs for each of the four locations across the length of the shed, and three locations vertically (for three shelves). The center shelf currently has seven

8/4 x 8" x 120" Rgh Cherry on the outer half and twelve 4/4 x 6-7 x 96-132" S2S Red Oak on the inner half. The lower shelf is mainly white oak, and the top shelf is some mahogany and a 25 b.f. of dalbergia nigra (pre-CITES).
Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I made my own... My problem was that the lumber rack was to be on a concrete block wall which would have required a lot of PITA drilling if I depended on the CB wall for support. I didn't. Instead...

  1. 5 - 2x4 uprights, floor to ceiling length

  1. Uprights hooked together on edge at 24" interval by two pieces of 3/4" ply about 5-6 inches wide set into the uprights at about 18-24" from top and bottom of uprights.

  2. Hooked together uprights were attached to wall with screws into the furring strips under the drywall.

  1. Arms are 21" 2x4s lapped on each side with pieces of 3/4" ply; the ply pieces are longer than the 2x4 so the ply fully overlaps the uprights and are attached to them with 2 - 1/4" bolts. Each upright has four arms.

Now, that isn't going to hold up much weight before the screws pull out of the furring strips so...

  1. I made a plinth of PT 2x4s that is butted against the uprights and Tapconed to the floor. It has a piece of 1/4 ply on top so that sawdust doesn't accumulate inside.

That helps hold the rack up but not all that much. What really holds it up is...

  1. A 2x4 across the front of the uprights at the ceiling and lagged to each truss.

The top set of arms was positioned so that long pieces lumber could extend over the top of a door. They can extend to the other side too. I could get

16' lengths on the arms but there would be a 4' overhang on each end...too much except to get something out of the way temporarily.

At the moment I have about 1500 pounds of lumber on it, steady as a rock. I had 200 bf of mahogany on one shelf.

Reply to
dadiOH

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Those look very much like the ones Menards sells. They feel heavy duty, and if installed properly should hold quite a bit. They're the ones I'm leaning towards.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Swingman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

*snip*

I like that sheet goods rack. Looks like it'll be easy to flip through pieces to find what I'm looking for. It looks like it could be built in an evening, the hardest part would literally be cutting the plywood for the base.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Be my guest.

I have the SketchUp file if it would help. Be glad to email it to you.

Reply to
Swingman

I use a surplus pallet rack I got for free that looks a lot like this, minus the wire shelves:

Mine is all green, 6 shelf beams (3 shelves). It measures OD

98"W X 30"D X 90"H, had to take 30" off the orig height so it would stand up in the shop.
Reply to
Spalted Walt

A Festool wood storage rack! Who knew?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Wrong tint :D

$_1.JPG

Reply to
Spalted Walt

On 09/26/2016 2:13 PM, Spalted Walt wrote: ...

That's a definite "u suk!" find, there...I've been looking for ages and everybody's awful proud of 'em...

Reply to
dpb

In the old barn there are 6" columns 8ft on center with one side of the driveway where old milking stalls stood having a double row only about

6ft apart. I had some old 1" shaft material so I drilled thru the columns and inserted shaft sections extending about 2ft. That leaves enough room to walk along. I then filled in w/ single 2X6 tied to the mow floor joists overhead and added the intermediate sag support...

But, not everybody has a WWI-era 40x70 (roughly) barn to repurpose, either... :) The real kicker for it as the shop is the bottom floor height is only 7ft; there's 30ft headroom to the center beam in the mow but that would mean arranging for getting everything up there which I'd love to do but haven't tackled...

Reply to
dpb

Home made is best. You will get what you need, hold more, and it will cost less.

I used 2x4 uprights, w/ 2x8s. The 2x8s are cut at an angle for supports. You could also do 2x4 supports with ply doubler or tripplers.

You then get to layout your own system. I ran the 2x4 uprights from floor to floor joist above. They are tied in with carriage bolts to the joists, and held away from the wall a few inches, and a little foot on the bottom holds the spacing from the wall. This allows air, or small panels to go behind it.

Mine are 16" on center.

Reply to
woodchucker

I started off storing horizontally but eventually went to vertical storage, simply because it gave me better access to the wood and more storage per square foot.

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Hah! I'm wondering if Puck is, also, asking about something he's not admit ting to, that he's as guilty, as some of us (hoarders!), that we tend to ke ep all sorts of "scrap" and it starts to overwhelm our storage/work areas.

Some of my various storage systems are.... disorganized. Lots of smaller (length) stuff is best described as just heaped in areas, some horizontal, some vertical. I'm not qualified to recommend a racking system.... *unles s, maybe, you want a system that racks.

Some of you guys sure have a clean shop. Is that normal?

That sheet good rack does look good, though. For my scenario, I'd be temp ted to put heavy duty casters on it, to move it out or out of the way, when needed. I have an area in the shop's garage (lots of sheet goods) that c ould use a wheeled cart. Maybe, center casters lower, than on the ends, t o turn on a dime?

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny