How deep a tenon?

If you were me, how deep would you make the tenon on that four-inch base?

Mike

Reply to
Michael

.. if I were me - and if me was a 240 lb. weaver .. I'd make the tenon about 10 inches - so I could anchor it into the floor. :-)

I'm curious about the design of the seat - - is it based on a traditional one ? - is the adjustability important for a given weaver ? or is that for marketing to different people at different looms ? John T.

Reply to
hubops

On Monday, September 26, 2016 at 7:44:00 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wro te:

I don't know if it's traditional but the manufacturer is well known in the business. The ability to adjust the height is for a number of different peo ple using different looms. The strength of that joint troubles me as well. I wish I had gone 5/4 rather than 4/4 on the hard maple. The thickness is 7 /8 after running the pieces through the thickness planer.

Mike

Reply to
Michael

You have some latitude, depending upon width, but personally I'd go for around 2 1/2 -3", with a wide tenon.

Even a tad shorter, and, IME and done properly, they'll have more racking strength than you might think.

Here's a similar application on a trestle table I built, and, as you can see, they're not all that long, roughly 2 1/2" ... over ten years of heavy use and moving around (the top weighs in at 106 lbs) with no structural problem whatsoever:

YMMV ...

Reply to
Swingman

Thanks, Swingman. I'm wondering if the thought applies that the glue bond is stronger than the wood, as in some other cases.

That's some beautiful work, by the way.

Mike

Reply to
Michael