Wood finials

In 2004 I made the mailbox from the New Yankee workshop show. A few months ago some idiot ran into it with their car and really smashed it up. I found their car antenna on the ground. They were probably texting and driving.

I really liked that mailbox so I am going to make another. Norm turned the final on his lathe but I don't have a lathe. I found a place where I could buy a finial in 2004 but I have no record of where I bought it. I have spent way too much time looking for finials on the web. I found a perfect one until I saw the price -- $157!! Does anyone have a suggestion of a place I can look. I am out of ideas right now.

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Reply to
Dick Snyder

not sure exactly what you are looking for but if you can figure out how to use their search function

has some for pennies.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Tried Rockler, or WoodCraft? I know Rockler has some on their site:

just about any local supplier who specializes in crown moldings, baseboard, stair parts and architectural trim will have them.

Reply to
Swingman

?useSearchForm=single&keyword=finials

Reply to
ChairMan

ChairMan

Your town may very well have a turners guild and someone may turn some finials for you for free.... supply the wood for them.

Find a Chapter near you:

The menu on the left has a "Find a Chapter" tab.

Reply to
Sonny

> Also, just about any local supplier who specializes in crown moldings,

things, they didn't meet my needs. I am looking for a ball type finial mounted on a ring of some kind. Total height about 7 1/2"

Reply to
Dick Snyder

ball type thing mounted on a ring or something with total height about 7

1/2")
Reply to
Dick Snyder

Reply to
Dick Snyder

There is a group within an hour of my house. I might have found one commercial possibility based on a reply I got. If that doesn't pan out, I will contact the chapter president in Worcester, MA

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Is this for a 4 x 4 post? Look on Lowe's site under post cap.

Reply to
G.W. Ross

Just under 6" x 6". I would like the finial to be about 7 1/2" high

Reply to
Dick Snyder

A member of that chapter may be nearer to you, also, not an hour away.

Reply to
Sonny

>> Also, just about any local supplier who specializes in crown moldings,

And try

as well.

Reply to
Leon

many others...

You might also check around for a "Wood Turners" club in your area ??? I bet there are guys begging for a project to jump on.

Reply to
Pat Barber