Why I Never Wear Safety Goggles...

Q&D (Queeks 'n Durrrty) disposables are only $2.99 at HF on sale.

The key to keeping face shield lenses unscratched is to wash them only with soapy water and dry with terrycloth towels. Compressed air works to take dust off while you're working. Use anti-static creme after washing/drying. Keep them in a dust-free cabinet when they're not OVER YOUR FACE. Forgetting to put them away is sure death for them.

Paper dust masks work better with goggles. The goggles crush the tops of 'em and keep 'em from fogging your glasses. Get the type with the exhaust valve. They're not as bad for fogging. Wally World has cheapies in the Mainstays brand which have worked well for me. Hmm, when I checked the brand, I just noticed that they're not NIOSH approved. It makes me wonder if any paper mask is. Since I seldom use them any more, it's not a big concern to me. I've gotten used to silly cones marring my facial features now.

I wear full-time glasses, too, and haven't found a single paper mask which doesn't fog the crap out of my glasses within minutes. I switched to a half-face, silicone rubber respirator decades ago and am glad I did. I swap between 2: one with N-95 dust filters (mowing, woodworking), the other with organic vapor filters (painting, stripping, pest spraying, leafblowing, crawlspace work.) I mow with a mask and muffs, but getting strange looks is much easier than putting up with several days of 5x worse hay fever symptoms each time.

I even wear my respirator when spraying rattle cans any more. All you have to do is blow your nose after a 3 minute session to realize that you should have masked-up before spraying even that little bit.

Had you actually done everything right, slivers -couldn't- have found their way into your corneas, Steve. Perhaps you should have switched to a full-face, supplied-air mask after the first time.

-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I am talking pieces that are exact fit 1/2" square and diamond sized. Too small for a clamp. The keeper pieces are so small that they must be on the waste side of the cut. No excitement.

Reply to
Leon

Exactly, but my recent project with small parts had a majority of pieces that were too small to attach. The finished pieces had to be the "fall to the side, waste". I had 30 or so of those small pieces and had no pieces that were tossed because of something going wrong or getting nicked by the blade. I did have several diamond shaped pieces that were 1.75 x 1.5" that had to be cut in half and some of those halves had to be cut in half again. Most parts were cut using a miter gauge set at 30 degrees, the smallest parts were cut on a sled using a pencil eraser to hold the diamonds that were to be halved and quartered. No excitement.

Leon

Might as well show ther finished pics. ;~)

Leon

Puts me in mind . . . . about '64, doing 2 wk. SeaBee reserve, another man & me were redoing the floor in the "Enlisted Mens Lake Club" on Crane Naval Ammunition Depot in southern Indiana . Cleared out, floor stripped, we were nailintg down new 1/4" masonite unederlayment using those (*&^%^%#$$# tempered ring nails. Every so often you'd hit a hard spot in the masonite & the nail would do a "ricochet" from the hammer to the walls, to etc. etc. We were working with our backs to each other when I had one go "ping" & disappear, but I never heard it hit anything, then noticed my partner had quit nailing, looked around to see him with the nail perpendicular to his temple, just sunk in to the first ring. He very carefully pulled it out, we had sort of a "sheepish" laugh, then moved a little farther apart.

Norm

Reply to
Nahmie

WOW!!

I actually touched the screen ... Fantastic job picking the the parts for grain and color!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

They are even more beautiful in person. Ask me how I know ... :)

If I'm not mistaken, the walnut is from a stash he and I picked up in AR last year, or the year before. They were basically 4 x 4 black walnut posts 4' to 6' long ... we brought back a pickup load. There were lots of checks and cracks, but some beautiful walnut if you know how, and have the tools, to get to it ...

(Leon presented me with one of those boxes exactly like that on my b'day last month ... it is so damn gorgeous in person that you can't keep your hands off of it!)

Our birthdays are a couple of days apart ... I got the best deal, by far! :)

Reply to
Swingman

"Larry Jaques" wrote

You're right. I wasn't there. I didn't see what I saw. I didn't experience what I experienced.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Beautiful. And more importantly, what do you keep in the box?

Reply to
Upscale

------------------------------- Had a similar situation.

Built a carrier sled from 1/4 ply and a De-Sta-Co clamp.

Kept the hands away from blade area.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I can believe it. I Really Did touch the screen!

And I took note of your drive by ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Beautiful! Man, the finish sure brings out the 3-D effect and shows those smoothed edges.

-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

PREVERT!

-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Say what you will, but if you got slivers in your eyes, something

-wasn't- quite right. Period.

Goggles with 1" diameter vent holes? No lenses? What was it?

-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Uvex safety glasses. None of the three was a direct strike, either ricochets, or a sliver falling in and lodging.

What is it with you and this mindset that things absolutely cannot happen in the real world unless you have experienced them, or have some reliable (to you) source.

Crazy shit happens daily in the safety world, but only in the world of those people who can observe what happened and say, "Hmmmmmmmmmmmm," and not in the world of those who say, "Impossible. Can never happen."

The newspapers and Internet are FULL! of crazy events that no one thought possible of plausible, yet happened. Or at least some lying fool claimed it happened, but they are filtered by your extraordinarily intelligent mind to disqualify them from reality.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

Safety glasses aren't goggles. If you were wearing "Uvex safety glasses" you were not wearing goggles. Uvex also makes goggles, but they do not call them "safety glasses".

For something to get into your eyes while wearing properly fitted goggles it has to either break the goggles or have been fired at you by Lee Harvey Oswald.

Perhaps if you were more careful with your use of words you would create less confusion. You were wearing safety glasses, not goggles. You either intentionally or through ignorance of the difference sacrificed the protection of goggles for the convenience of safety glasses and paid the price.

However if you had actually gotten something inside goggles it would have been remarkable enough that you'd have a good story to go with it explaining how whatever it was got inside them.

Yeah, they're full of sightings of UFOs and the Virgin Mary too.

Reply to
J. Clarke

LOL..Now THAT is a compliment. You toush't your screen... Awww.

THANK YOU.

I fell into the wood selection. I had left over scraps, and some walnut posts stashed away.

Reply to
Leon

His sewing stuff. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Thanks you and thanks for noticing the smooth edges. I routed all the edges of the pieces with a 1/8" radius round over bit with a special little jig on the router table. Very easy to do but lots of sanding with the Fein Multimaster setting in my lap.

Reply to
Leon

Was the Eagles "Hotel California" song playing in the background, while the warm smell of colitas rose up through the air?