polishing swimming goggles?

Hi all I have some swimming goggles whose lenses are a bit 'hazed' due to small scratches. They are made of a lightly soft plastic and I'm guessing it wouldn't be wise to use normal polishing materials (solvol, toothpase, etc) on them. Any ideas for something else I can use?

Thanks J^n

Reply to
jkn

Surely it's cheaper and easier to just buy some new ones than messing about.

Reply to
philipuk

ISTR jewellers rouge was a very fine polishing paste. Also, anything used by astronomers building their own telescope and polishing their lenses would do. If you think the trouble is worth the cost saving over a new pair.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Hi David

I doubt it - rouge and carborundum (& emery) as used by ATMs(*) are

*hard* materials; my expectation is that they would bed themselves in the plastic. Hence my question, really ...

It depends on the effort and inconvenience involved. Decent goggles are fifteen quid a pair or so and these are not unusable.

Anyway, sometimes it's worth just the knowing...

Cheers J^n

(*) = Amateur Telescope Makers, of which I have been one.

Reply to
jkn

Of the commonly available polishes something like Brasso will probably be OK for this unless the solvent attacks the plastic. Avoid anything with methanol in as that will stress corrosion crack many plastics.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Put on old but clean jeans. Rub gogles on thigh, rubbing hard and long.

Slow, but works.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Money for a replacement? :-)

Reply to
Martin

I swear by Zoggs but the straps don't last forever.

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

jkn wrote on Feb 27, 2012:

I've used this product for mobile phone and watch displays:

It's quite mild but works very well with a bit of perseverance.

Reply to
Mike Lane

These are Zoggs as it happens (tho' I have other pairs). I like the strap model much better than the older styles, tho' I think speedo etc. have cought up a bit now. Not that I'm much of a swimmer, FWIW...

Cheers J^n

Reply to
The Night Tripper