Why do i need a jointer?

If your work habits are pleasing to you and you can accomplish what you want w/o one, I'm not going to try to persuade you otherwise...

If, otoh, you're interested in purchasing lumber rough sawn and/or want to take on more or larger work and perhaps do some of the routine work more quickly, then a jointer may be of some advantage. However, you do decide on one, I would recommend that nothing less than an 8" one will satisfy for the long run unless small work is all you do, but even there being able to face joint something wider than 6" is a real benefit.

IMO, YMMV, $0.02, etc., ...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

========================= What can I say except that I have been creating sawdust for 20 years LONGER then you and I need a ...Jointer.

It just seems to me that anyone who would go to the trouble to have his supplier put one straight edge on his rough lumber then " plane" that same rough lumber (by hand or not) then glue up a panel would also take the time to grab the resulting glued up panel and plane and sand it himselp....

Maybe my definition of rough lumber is different then yours...

Somehow I think you are starting with lumber that is surfaced on 3 sides ...(that is not rough cut lumber by my definition) then gluing it up then hauling it to a local shop to have the faces sanded flat......

Just my thought...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Just kneel down. It's a lot easier. Trust me (old Swedish saying). j4

Reply to
jo4hn

Like sikotherapee?

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

I think that he means the angle of the edge. I sympathize with that: I find it much harder to maintain a 90 deg angle than I do in obtaining a "straight edge" (or something very close).

Reply to
GregP

There you go. Try getting those edges straight when you come across a gloat of 1500 bf of . It's been my experience that all edges are rough (if not in raw log form), twisted, and need to be jointed. Try doing that on your General. Soooo, you keep buying your expensive lumber and you don't need a jointer. Good on ya. SH - Still wanting the 16" man machine.

Reply to
Slowhand

Sounds like you don't need a jointer but have some money to spend. So why not spend the money on a drum sander then you don't have to take it to someone else to finish off your projects?

Reply to
Frank

BINGO!!! Seems to me like ole Rog was just want to stir something up. Notice he hasn't come back with anything else snippy????

Reply to
Bullwinkle J. Moose

Just don't try that on a chess board. It reallllly matters. I had everything smooth as glass and perfectly adjoining, at whatever not quite perfect angle it happened to be until it fit right.

Actually, the fit wasn't the problem, but the thickness. I wasn't thinking. I wound up with random width boards. Looked really stupid after the second cut, with every "square" a different size.

Oops.

Reply to
Silvan

I would assume that someone with 20 years of building experience would know that "u" is not a word.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Well, actually, it *is* a word in at least one language. It means "or" in Spanish, if it comes before a word starting with the letter O. As in, "uno u otro."

In English, however, it is generally indicative of someone who's even more whippersnapperier than I am; 20-somethings and teenies. It's these punk new generation kiddies with their stupid online gaming who are changing the shape of our language 4ever. I fear u and i are fighting a l00zin9 battl3, and all these w0rdz are going to make it into the dictionary sooner, rather than l8tr. Then we wont be able to win "that's not a word" arguments, and these punks will dance on the grave of what used to be a respectable and dignified language.

Reply to
Silvan

"Silvan"

u r rite.

Reply to
Swingman

Reply to
Phisherman

Each new generation is a reflection of the one that raised it.

Reply to
GregP

Reply to
Doug Brown

Maybe before the Gutenberg Press ... but mass media and instant communication are distorting that "reflection" with increasing speed since.

Makes you wonder what reflection the "eParenting" generation will cast.

Reply to
Swingman

Maybee they're following in the footsteps of the greats. I have heard/read that when Wm. Shakespear needed a word that rhymed, he invented one. ;-)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Reply to
Roger M.

Thanks for the update.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

Gawd. I'm a professional secretary, or have been many years of my life (even had a service bureau for 12 years), and I send text messages such as: "R U going 2 B there 2?" Of course, in a letter, it's an entirely different matter, more like "Do your plans include attending the event?" (yeah,right!)

I must admit, even in text messaging, I usually overcome the urge to abbreviate, most likely much to the consternation of my eldest son.

Yup, in some sit-u-a-tions, "u" is a word.

And, no, spell checkers don't catch such things as: There read dog chaste the dear.

Glenna who has tomorrow off and new wood in the garage and is in a weird mood tonight (bought new wood clamps this evening also)

Reply to
Glenna Rose