Why do I do this?

My wife's sister's husband asked me to do some work for him. As I am reluctant to ask for or take money from "family", I offered a trade. He lives in the country and I asked him if he knew of any apple trees I (we) might get wood off of. "Yes" he did know of an abandoned apple tree and he would supply me with the wood. 2- 3 ft logs would be just fine said I. I then spend a few hours doing work for him using my tools and electricity, while he stood around and asked unrelaterd questions and generally slowed me down.

He comes back a few weeks later with three twisted dried out rotted twigs from 1/2 to about 1 inch in diameter and a few ft long. This was payment.

He is (allegedly) an engineer and not my brother-in-law - he's my wife's brother-in-law. If he were mine, he would getting his nuts re-aligned at the "So, you got nutted but good!!" ward of the local hospital. Real brother-in-laws are fair game.

I am contemplating charging 75$ per hr plus expenses plus extras, for so much as a conversation about work. These rates will be prominently posted with no exceptions to "family". The expenses should cover the medication for "AIDs of the ears" that get transmitted when listening to assholes. The extras are for the donuts - a full dozen, no crullers. This should distract me enough so I don't have to listen.

Is 75$ enough?

cselby

-------------------------------- BTDT.

$75 is not nearly enough.

Try the following:

$150/hr portal to portal, 4 hour minimum billing, expenses billed as an additional item with a 10% handling fee added.

Overtime for Saturday work billed at $300/hr.

Overtime for Sunday work billed at $600/hr.

$600 minimum deposit required prior to start of any work.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

How did you disseminate details like these: Brochure, business card, other? A nickel for your thoughts ain't gonna cut it, huh? : )

Reply to
Bill

------------------------ "Bill" wrote:

--------------------------------- Standard terms and conditions provided as part of any written quote.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Since I have been doing this so long as a self employed, my family knows better than to ask. If it is something small..... sure. I fix entry doors, install new locks, and small stuff like that for lunch.

But "Gary (BIL) is thinking of tearing out part of the built in cabinets to make room for a new big screen and wanted to know if you would give him a hand" winds up with just that.

I clap for him, applaud his energy, and wish him the best.

If I am doing the job, I am charging for the work.

When I am asked if they get the "family discount", I tell them I will be glad to do the job for discounted money as long as they understand it will be "discounted" work.

We are all long past that. Does my sister give up part of her insurance commission when she writes a policy for family? No. So why should I give up my hard earned scratch to her?

On occasion they have thought me too high; after a good screwing a few times by my brethren in this business, they are tired of paying me to fix repairs or installations that were poorly executed. I have found that after they have had their rear ends drilled pretty good a few times, they are much more amenable to paying to get it done right, regardless of who does it.

And ask yourself this question; will they take less than a professional job from you, or will they expect even more because they are family? It is always the latter for me, so I charge accordingly.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

A friend of the other grandfather of my elder granddaughters is my friend too. He also is a plumber, loquacious plumber, and I like to chat with him as works for me. I pay him what he asks. I have no idea what the rates should be, but his work is good.

Reply to
Han

Probably be cheaper to get your doctor to do it ... :)

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman wrote in news:Kc2dncIEgO18Qx3QnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Come on, Karl ...

Reply to
Han

I do not rely on woodworking for a living. I have never taken money from family, brethren, neighbours or friends for work done in woodworking. Nor do I have or had any hidden agenda to do so. After doing so for decades my assets are not less or better.

Reply to
Denis M

------------------------------------- "Sw> Probably be cheaper to get your doctor to do it ... :)

======================== Old joke swing.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Multiply your experience by 10-100 if you have a sibling on drugs.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

It's good that you're comfortable helping them out. But then I have to ask, where does it end? I've got a brother who only calls me up when he wants something. In the past fifteen years, I've seen him exactly three times. Those three times were as follows: Bail him out of jail for driving his motorcycle with an expired license, bail him out of jail at 3:00 am on outstanding parking ticket warrants, loan him money to he can get his car back after it got towed. I've never asked him for anything because I know he's not reliable. It was essentially the same when we were growing up only it was my father coming to his rescue then.

I'm done and I think he knows that. I haven't got any more phone calls from him in a number of years. It's sad when you think about it, but I'm comfortable with my choice. I'll not be taken advantage of my him anymore.

Reply to
Upscale

Like they said I can only help within the length of my cable tow. If I am not available, the lifting is too heavy or my skill and knowledge do not match the requirement I tell them.

Reply to
Denis M

Absolutely.

The old fool me once, shame on you Fool me twice, shame on me

or as George W muffed it:

Fool me once, shame on you Fool me twice.....ah bah dah bah, a badee, a badee,a badee....ah Ya cain't get fooled again!

Reply to
d.williams