Which jig saw?

Hi all. I'm trying to cut out a pattern into soft wood that breaks easily. Can anybody recommend a jig saw that has a particularly smooth reciprocating action for doing fine work. The jig saw I have been using is a no-name brand, made in China jig saw, that vibrated and shook my work piece around, which made it break apart. Maybe I should just clamp my work piece down better? In any case, your suggestions for a good quality jig saw are welcome. Thank you.

Reply to
Raffo

The Bosch 1590 is the best jigsaw I've ever used. It has also been top rated in several of the WWing magazines. Be sure you're using a sharp blade with lotsa teeth. I've had great success with the Bosch 101AO 3"

20-Tooth. You can also use an anti-tear-out insert on those saws that'll help even more, although you probably won't need it with that set-up.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

I second the 1590 Bosch idea. However, what you may really want is a good quality scroll saw. JG

Reply to
JGS

jigsaw = machine used to cut fretwork and the like. sabersaw = hand held tool used to cut curves.

1990s jigsaw = what used to be a sabersaw. scrollsaw = what used to be a jigsaw.

It is unclear to me which decade the OP was speaking from. If he was using '90s terms, your suggestion is first rate.

Reply to
LRod

Could you clamp a thicker piece of scrap wood underneath what you're trying to cut to help stiffen it?

Reply to
efgh

1590 Bosch. Hell, _any_ Bosch (or Dewalt or Milwaukee that are based on the expired Bosch patents). If you're used to a "no-name brand, made in China" jig saw you won't believe the difference. The 1590 Bosch though right now is king of the hill. There is no other tool for which the difference between "cheap" and "good" is so radical as the jigsaw.

But it sounds like what you really need is a scroll saw, not a jigsaw. If the wood is that soft consider also a hand-held coping saw or jeweler's saw.

When dealing with really soft materials you may get better results if you sandwich them between two pieces of harder material--thin plywood or Masonite work well for this purpose.

Reply to
J. Clarke

It may be better to use a scroll saw or bandsaw for that particular job.

Cheap saws will cause problems though, if a jig saw is the right tool, get a Bosch.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks guys for all your advice. I might just try buying a fine tooth blade, to see if that works. I think the blade I currently have is biting into the wood too much and causing the shaking. I paid 8 dollars for this jig saw. lol.

Reply to
Raffo

"Raffo" wrote in news:1155235505.112973.293120 @h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

I have used $8 saws in the past. They are truly nasty.

Reply to
R. Pierce Butler

Raffo wrote: [snipperified]

I have been through a few. The ones that stood out were Bosches. I MUCH prefer the barrel grip Bosch over the D-Handles. I now use Milwaukee's jigsaw and love it to bits. Just wish I had bought the barrel grip version, because on the D handled one the switch is awkwardly huge and tends to turn the thing on when just picking it up...(I cut a piece of the switch paddle off to stop that.) Made in Germany...yup...(maybe an AEG or Metabo piece...who knows these days, eh?) I'd buy a Bosch again...but just love this Milwaukee.

Robatoy

Bosch.

1590, 1591...whatever it takes.
Reply to
wood_newbie

Milwaukee or Bosch

Reply to
lwasserm

Yes, the Milwaukee is actually an AEG design. Until recently the same parent company (I think Atlas-Copco) owned them both. I understand that the parent company of Ryobi now owns Milwaukee. Ryobi tools have there place in the world, but I sure hope they don't try to substitue them for Milwaukee's line.

Reply to
lwasserm

Milwaukee of Bosch. I own a Milwaukee and it has been great for several years now. What would I buy today? Probably the very latest Bosch as it has IMHO finally stepped up past the Milwaukee how that it now truly offers a quick blade change set up.

Reply to
Leon

No surprises with the brand recommendations...except the omission of Festool. Anybody have the Festool jigsaw?

RicodJour

Most of us here don't have Rockefeller money.

Reply to
LRod

S'true. Just thought someone would have chimed in on this thread with a nod to the Festool They do have a knack for designing a tool from scratch and making significant improvements. The reviews for their jigsaw are universally glowing and it's only $75-$100 more than the Bosch

RicodJour

The Bosch is excellent, but the Ridgid is actually a nice german tool nearly as good as the Bosch and quite a bit cheaper. I took by Bosch back and got the Ridgid to save some money and have no reqrets. They also have a cordless version now.

-Steve

Reply to
Steve W