Where the heck to buy shellac flake

I used to buy shellac from O'deen at shellac.net, then when he folded up shop, I went to Russ Ramirez at woodfinishingsupplies.com , but now he's folded up shop. So today I went to Liberon who I think took over O'deen's deal and they're out of all three flavors I want and say they won't be in stock for "months".

Any other cheap place to buy shellac flake? Seems like there are only two tier of vendors, the ones who want $25-$30/lb for a pound of Behlen's, or the other extinct guys mentioned above who were in the $12-$15 range.

Thanks for any help,

Glenn de Souza Scottsdale, Arizona

Reply to
Glenn de Souza

I buy from shellac.net/ whats the problem there? Site is up and running

Reply to
joey

Don't know what color you want but

3 types at $20/lb (plus shipping)

No commercial interest, but like his irons!

Reply to
Tom Banes

Our local Woodcraft also stocks Hock shellac for ~$20/lb.

Reply to
Joe Wells

I've got 10-15 lbs of decent orange shellac flakes I'll part with for $5 a lb. (plus shipping). I'd be glad to send you a few ounces if you're interested. Reply off list with a mailing address.

Reply to
'lektric dan

Like Paddy said, many moons ago, shipping over the summer months is dangerous to the product. It simply isn't done. I'd imagine that receiving a FIVE POUND BUTTON of what was supposed to be shellac

-flakes- would tend to piss off the customers.

It really sucks that Russ closed down, doesn't it? I'm glad I got stocked up a couple months ago. I don't know if Ron Hock ships his (pricy) shellac during the summer, but you might give him a holler. Have him pack it in dry ice for ya. I don't want to imagine how hot the inside of a dark brown UPS truck gets in 110° weather.

You might break down and try Waterlox some day, Glenn. It's as easy as shellac to put on, and it's a tougher finish. The oils pop the grain automatically, too. Wunnerful stuff, that.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Heart Attacks: God's revenge for eating his little animal friends --

Comprehensive Website Development --

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hi Larry,

Paddy's former place, shellac.net (now operated by Liberon) seems to be out of everything I want for "months". With Russ gone, maybe cheap shellac is gone also.

I like Waterlox a lot, ever since you passed it on after it was placed in your hand by the woodworking god Frank Klausz! It is great stuff no doubt. Pops grain like no other.

I like tinting the shellacs for effect using Transtints, and that doesn't work well with Waterlox. Also, sometimes you're just looking for a fast drying spit coat, and dewaxed shellac really fits the bill.

Reply to
Glenn de Souza

Reply to
nospambob

A 1/2" - 5/8" thick layer of flat newspaper works perfect for sending chocolates, I know that for a fact. And chocolates are definitely much softer than shallac flakes!

Reply to
AAvK

nospambob wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Ain't cheap, but it is reasonable. Selection and service is good, too.

I've also used the Hock flake, with no complaint, but the color range is more limited.

Jeff had the german-refined super-blonde in liquid and flake when I needed it last winter, when the Mendocino folks couldn't seem to get any. Their business, (the Mendocino folks) by the way, has changed locations and focus, with the associated bumps in the road...

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Lee Valley has orange for $11.50/lb (less for larger orders), and sells it in various quantities. Their super blonde (dewaxed) is quite a bit more expensive ($30/lb).

don't have any relationship with them except that I and others have always found them to be a great company to deal with. I've used their orange shellac and it's top-drawer stuff. No experience with the blonde.

Marc

Reply to
marcj

Zinnser's Sealcoat? A 1 pound cut of dewaxed. Lots easier than flakes :-).

Reply to
lgb

Got the Hock flakes from

IIRC, it was around 19.00/lb for the de-waxed blonde type.

Not affiliated, just satisfied

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
nospambob

I was referring to the "spit coat" the OP mentioned.

That said, I've used Sealcoat as a padded on finish coat with no problem.

Reply to
lgb

I believe it is. Russ was higher than Paddy and Liberon is higher still, with Hock coming in higher yet. Where are the real discounters of Indian bug spit, damnit? I stocked up with a gallon of Waterlox just before Russ bailed.

I'd always loved varnish, despite the slow drying, but Waterlox is generations ahead with the old technology of linseed and tung oils thrown in as the kickers. Loverly combo.

I still have some of Paddy's blonde flakes in my shop and use it on occasion. It's great to keep jigs from getting fingerprinted, too.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Heart Attacks: God's revenge for eating his little animal friends --

Comprehensive Website Development --

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Daggone it! This is what I get for flitting in and out of here. Just when I was thinking that in another month or so I might be ready to place an order for some finishing stuff for the new kitchen to be.

Was there any warning/heads up that Russ was closing up shop?

Thanx Renata

-snip-

Reply to
Renata

Only on the website, as it was happening. He was closing out entire sections of the site when I first noticed it and commented on it. Then I read the home page and saw his message. I'd been going directly to bookmarked pages I ordered from.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Heart Attacks: God's revenge for eating his little animal friends --

Comprehensive Website Development --

Reply to
Larry Jaques

His forum responses have been slower in the last several weeks but the closing was quick!

has active forums and I believe a wider assortment of stock than Russ has. Jeff has several forums and until recently moderated all of them himself but now he has found some help, thankfully. Check it out.

Reply to
nospambob

The best quality and priced shellac is found at

have not seen better prices any place. Good Luck.

Reply to
Greg