Where/How To Buy Hard Maple

I live in the Denver area and I'm looking for about 200 board feet of hard maple. I haven't found a decent source for hard maple. What I have found so far is pretty expensive.

I did a search on the Internet for companies that will ship lumber and what I have found seems to come up being less expensive than purchasing locally.

Can anyone recommend a reputable company with reasonable prices that will sell through the Internet and ship? Anything I should be watching out for? I have never purchased lumber sight unseen so I'm a bit leery of doing so.

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
jegan

I've bought a few pallet loads of hardwood from these guys:

am in CT so shipping from Buffalo, NY wasn't bad at all, so I can't be sure it'll cost you to get it to Denver, but their prices are pretty good so it might be work a try.

They shipped the items promptly and they were packaged very well. All of the stuff I got was in the rough, but it was fairly good quality, with a few boards having more knots, etc. than I would like. Probably the same would happen no matter where you get it.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Drive to Fort Collns to Sears Trostel in Old Town. Good wood, great folks. They buy bulk and mill their own finished stock.

LFW snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net

jegan wrote:

Reply to
L. Wilson

I got all excited because I am only 60 miles from Buffalo, but they are only about 10% less than where I buy my lumber now. The gas would exceed the savings. Are you saying there is no one in CT competitive after the freight!

Reply to
Toller

Mike, What did they hit you for shipping to CT? Was it shipped via truck or UPS(or a competitor).

Thanks, Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

You did not say where you looked. I use Austin Hardwoods for most of my maple and Paxton for the rest. It is not cheap to get dry FAS maple in Denver. Both of these places will supply top quality wood shipment after shipment with no second guessing necessary. I normally pick my own lumber from the racks; however I would take their picks without any worries.

Reply to
Alan Bierbaum

these folks. Nice people, they skip plane to save some wgt on shipping and will give est price on shipping if you ask.

Reply to
RTH

Reply to
David Babcock

CT hardwoods is competitive. They are 90¢ higher in price, but for that price will plane it to the desired thickness and give you one straight edge.

have a nifty high powered planer that does both sides at the same time. The straight edge is saw cut. The board is carried on a belt and taken through the blade. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Try Bear Creek Lumber in Washington state.

a decade ago I bought the lumber and cedar siding for a 6,000 sq ft house and had it shipped from the Pacific to the Atlantic for much less than I could buy it locally. They were very easy to work with and the quality was great.

Boden

jegan wrote:

Reply to
EL

"David Babcock" wrote in news:4saBb.468128 $HS4.3651197@attbi_s01:

close to complete (and, in my experience, it usually includes the high $ chain outlets, and misses the serious dealers who offer the good prices for people willing to take 100bf lots)

John

Reply to
John McCoy

snipped-for-privacy@compuserve.com (jegan) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Steve Wall lumber is good.

Dunno how bad shipping to CO would be, tho. I'd guess there's places closer which would be cheaper. Seems like there's a place in Iowa that gets good reviews, but I can't recall the name.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

I didn't want to mention any company names. I had web shopped both those places and was not pleased with the prices. I used to live in Houston and purchased maple locally there for a LOT less that both of those companies where listing on their web sites or by phone.

Thanks for the assurance that both a good places to shop.

-- Jim

Reply to
jegan

Excellent! Thanks for the link.