When You Start Out As A Carpenter...

When I started out I was expected to have a nail apron that included these items:

A Tape Measure - A Stanley 16' Tape Measure.

A Carpenter's Pencil - This should have come from a lumber yard or some such, and all I had t do was learn how to sharpen it. *

A Keel - A keel is a piece of yellow wax crayon. Our's were Dixons.

A Scriber - A scriber is a schoolboy's compass, usually brass looking, with a golf course sized piece of pencil in one end.

A Chalk Line - Also usually from Stanley, although as I got smarter, I bought the ones from Strait-Line.

A Utility Knife - Once again, a Stanley, one of the ones that retracted.

A Piece Of Blue Chalk - It came in the shape of a half of a sphere, and it was blue.

A Combo Square - My first one was a cheap ass Stanley, my current one is from Athol.

I also had a hammer holster with a Plumb 16 oz curved claw hammer, on a fiberglass stick.

That was it for Carpentry 101. When I was there for a bit, I got the Sears Leather Toolbelt - changed to a 20 oz Plumb - got a truck - and made money.

Hope this answers your questions.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

You didn't have a brad nailer so you could use brads to hold boards together while the glue dries? Jim

Reply to
Jim

Erm! havn't you forgotten summat?

Reply to
ben

We didn't even know what a "brad" was.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

I reckon I have, but I don't know what a "summat" is.

I'm hoping that it's a nailset, which I left out, and shouldn't have.

I also left out the catspaw, but that came later, when you were carrying a proper tote.

Which was a partner to the Wonderbar.

Which went along with the Framing Square.

Which went into the chisels - and we were talking about what could be carried in a cloth nail apron - Oh Lordy - It has been too long ago...

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

You forgot the marking gauge, thats one o the items every carpenter got. :-)

summat : something.

Reply to
ben

What is a "Marking Gauge", in the regard of Carpentry?

I have a marking gauge that I use for mortise and tenon joinery, but it is part of a joiner's or cabinetmaker's kit.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

Same thing, you draw it up or push it down the lenght of the wood and scribe a line in the wood.

Reply to
ben

That ain't no carpenter's tool.

If I'd of had one of them in my pouch, I'd have been let go.

(got a nice ulmia now, wouldn't let go of it - but I ain't no carpenter, now.)

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

"ben" wrote in news:Hf6Se.101346$G8.84 @text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

My carpenter uncle would have used the compass, but then he was a finish carpenter.

Patriarch, who was fascinated by those tools as a kid...

Reply to
Patriarch

I think that was called a 16 penny smooth box scribe. j4

Reply to
jo4hn

ben

Ka Papa Kuhikuhi.

Now, cut that out!

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

"Brad" was that clueless twit who only got hired because he was the boss' son-in-law...what, you didn't have one?

Lee

Reply to
Lee DeRaud

I think we're a generation apart, but not that much had changed...

check

check

check

check, and check.

I had a run of hydes, then switched to a brand I can't remember right now...

by the time I started wearing nailbags it was all bottles of powdered chalk.

my first one was a stanley. now I have about a dozen, including at least one from athol. I still have the stanley, but it 'aint true no more...

my first one.... hmm... not sure. the first one I seriously used for carpentering was a 20oz vaughan on hickory....

Reply to
bridgerfafc
[...]

So how does/did a carpenter lay out M&T joinery?

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

Man, we should all be so lucky. I take about $500 worth of assorted odds and ends with me daily.

Shouldn't there at least be a couple more things in that apron? To wit:

1.5" framing chisel Handsaw (I like pull saws, myself) Cold Chisel Coping Saw Four-in-hand rasp Rat-tail bastard file Nail punch Flat bar Crow bar T-bevel Framing Square Plumb bob String line Cresent wrench Channel locks Screwdriver (or cordless drill)

Depends on what you're doing, I suppose. I've got several stables of tools for different jobs. The above is just the stuff that crosses over several disciplines.

Reply to
Prometheus

I've gotta agree with Tom- that's not a jobsite carpentry tool. If you want to do that, that's what the combination square and the pencil are for.

Reply to
Prometheus

Oh. Well, in a house that's under about 175 years old in the U.S., if it ain't butt joints it ain't joined. Toe nailing 2x4s took the place of M&T joints along about 1835 or so, though I have seen some barns built around 1839 with M&T joints.

Reply to
Charlie Self

on this continent he doesn't, unless he's a timber framer. we won't go there.

thems that do M&T are furniture makers.

Reply to
bridger