When the "heirloom piece" line is crossed.

Oh, the irony...

Reply to
LRod

As a practical matter, for something to be handed down between generations it must both survive multiple generations and appeal to multiple generations.

Therefore, by corrolary, an heirloom but be of high quality, and have aesthetic appeal which is able to transcend periodic trends. To me that generally means classic design elements.

To the OP, I often leave a little wane on the underside of a tabelop glue-up. It doesn't bother me and I doubt that it will be a consideration for my ancestors.

-Steve

Reply to
C&S

It may only have a practical usefulness or simply sentimental value.

Reply to
Leon

Yes, in terms of quality it merely needs to be durable to survive, or even if it is not, the family just needs to take care of it.

A friend has a keeping box that has been in his family for more than a century. It is quite crude, but it is also a family heirloom.

Reply to
fredfighter

Many people are mistaking the definition of heirloom as something that possessed quality or beauty, which it may or may not be.

Reply to
Leon

And over time the original meaning of "heirloom" has been subverted.

Under early English law (and it still may be so), an estate was generally handed down to the oldest son, was considered "entailed" by this custom, and items in that estate (heirlooms) stayed with the estate from generation to generation and could not generally be bequeathed away separately.

Tools (looms) were entailed to the estate, so for wooddorkers of early days it paid to be the eldest son, otherwise, under law, that vintage Unisaw went to your older brother and you were SOL.

Reply to
Swingman

Thats not the way I remember it when I was an apprentice.....

Reply to
mike hide

Antiques are generally considered to have been made before 1830 . The reason being production machinery for the most part was not available before then so pieces were basically hand made .

By the way plywood [drawer bottoms] surfaced a long time after 1830

Reply to
mike hide

That depends ... Your definition generally applies to North America where it may have some legal basis for customs and import duties. In Europe, England and other countries an item may have to be much older to qualify as "antique".

Reply to
Swingman

Maybe you're not "antique" enough?

Reply to
Swingman

Actually, only time can accurately determine what is an heirloom and what is dumpster fodder. But I like to think that pieces that are built sturdily enough to withstand the ravages of much use or pieces so attractive that others will desire to maintain them over time qualify for the term when new. That is, if the piece was built with the intention that it become an heirloom, then it may be referred to as one when new.

Jes' my two cents worth ... all goods worth price charged.

Bill

Reply to
W Canaday

Could it be that their better-made cousins were pitched by their better-heeled owners?

Bill

Reply to
W Canaday

So, :~) Because that newly built piece that you are talking about can be called a heirloom before it actually qualifies as being an heirloom by definition, it can equally as well be called an antique because it is intended to become an antique. Does that sound right? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I dunno ... I just get toitally different vibes off "heirloom quality" than I do off "antique quality".

How about you? Bill

Reply to
W Canaday

Well more accurately put so to speak, we hope the piece will one day become an heirloom and an antique.

Reply to
Leon

Antique in training. :)

Reply to