When is a cutoff just trash?

Never in the trash.

Three boxes:

scrap: firebox hard wood: I will find some use for it interesting shapes: the kids box that ends up as some impromptu project

- S

I'm probably like you, especially when it comes to hardwood. I keep a lot of smaller pieces around and even use them occasionally. The little pieces of oak and walnut (1" - 4") go in a bucket that eventually ends up in the smoker. I have been known to dig around in the smoker bucket for a small piece to use to make a plug or to turn a small part.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

It's all stock timber and it's all firewood.

Use whatever works, burn the smallest stuff first, starting with the sawdust.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I turn a lot of pens. Most of the time, the pen blank yields a cut-off of slightly more than an inch.

Did I mention that I also turn refrigerator magnets? ;-)

Most of my junk wood is either

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

Fri, Mar 9, 2007, 11:51pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@codesmiths.com (Andy=A0Dingley) doth sayeth: Use whatever works, burn the smallest stuff first, starting with the sawdust.

Nope. You save the sawdust, and spread it out in the winter for traction.

JOAT It was too early in the morning for it to be early in the morning. That was the only thing that he currently knew for sure.

- Clodpool

Reply to
J T

I was just thinking about this last night as I was cleaning up the shop. More specifically about plywood scraps. Any thoughts on what is the smallest size to keep. I am thinking that small than 4" by 12" goes in the trash.

Dave

Reply to
DLB

I certainly do, but I burn it first.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Sun, Mar 11, 2007, 4:03am (EDT-3) very_dirty snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (DLB) doth ponder: I was just thinking about this last night as I was cleaning up the shop. More specifically about plywood scraps. Any thoughts on what is the smallest size to keep. I am thinking that small than 4" by 12" goes in the trash.

Ya heathen. I make all my patterns out of plywood. If I con't have a piece large enough on hand for what I want to make, I glue two, or more, pieces together, and smaller pieces on top to strengthen them. Sometime with up with gaps, especially if the pieces weren't sqsuare to begin with. Cut up some small pieces to fit in and glue in place. Works just fine. Sometime I modify existing patterns, do the same way, glue in a piece(s) to fit in, maybe pieces on top. I use plywood for small, one-time, saw sleds and such too. Plus, you can cut out wheels/circles from it before you toss it, all sorts of things. I'm making a shillouete (") chess set from plywood, cutout and mounted on a plywood circle. If you're gonna toss plywood pieces that big, do your soul good, box 'em up, and send 'em along as a sacrifice to the Woodworking Gods. Ya heathen.