What to do with $2500

Set the funds aside. Make the decisions you need to on the furniture you want to build. Once that's done, buy enough wood to get started. Along the way, use the funds you've set aside to buy the tools you need to produce the work at hand.

This is a question you can answer best for yourself. If you don't already have a good solid woodworking bench, I'd suggest building that as a prelude to the house furniture.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Table saw: Jet JWTS-10JF $650 or Ridgid TS3650 $549

Jointer: Sunhill CT-60L $329

Planer: Dewalt DW735 $479 or Dewalt DW734 $379

Dust collector: Delta AP400 $159

Band saw: Grizzly G0555 $375

Router: Porter Cable 693LRPK $152

Total $1943.

Other good things: a Forrest WWII saw blade ($100), a bunch of clamps from Harbor Freight ($50), a few Hirsch firmer chisels and an 8mm mortising chisel from Lee Valley, a couple of machinists squares, a hook rule.

Reply to
n_perkins2003

Sorry ... %^$^ new Google interface causing me problems, too. Last message is blank to me ... so to repost:

Table saw: Jet JWTS-10JF $650 or Ridgid TS3650 $549

Jointer: Sunhill CT-60L $329

Planer: Dewalt DW735 $479 or Dewalt DW734 $379

Dust collector: Delta AP400 $159

Band saw: Grizzly G0555 $375

Router: Porter Cable 693LRPK $152

Total $1943.

Reply to
n_perkins2003

The great thing about that Craftsman - it probably had "2 HP developed" before it burnt out.

Dave

Reply to
Cox West

Just to voice a dissenting opinion... Contractor's saws are already pretty megolithic if you get any kind of good one, and if money and weight aren't factors, it seems to me a no brainer to go ahead and get real saw.

Reply to
Silvan

I have a Delta 37-190 that I am very happy with. I bought it used for $175, but new they go for about $375.

It did a great job on a 4' tabletop I just glued up.

Reply to
toller

I too am into making furniture for the home. I would say that I'm a perhaps a a half dozen years ahead ofyou though.

My thoughts on the big tooling:

In the contractor's saw vs. Cabinet saw debate, I would say go for the cabinet saw. I would not make that recomendation to a newbie, but it sounds like you have been at this long enough (acquired a fair amount of tooling and dedicated shop space) to realize that this is a hobby that will not abandon. If that is the case, buy the cabinet saw and it will be your last.

Buying a new tablesaw is an easy choice as you really need to do something about your crapsman.

Hang onto the rest of your money. It takes time to set up and learn how to get the most out of a new tool. Stagger your purchases so that you don't have to fugure out the tuning and technique nuances of several machines at once.

If you want to get into rough-cut lumber. a planer and jointer should be close in the list.

I got by with just a planer for quite a while it works, but your stock will not be dead-on straight and flat. The unanticipated benefit of getting a jointer, was that all of my cuts were just a little but more accurate because I had dead-flat/square stock riding slolidly on the table saw top and fence. (including stock purchased presurfaced) It was suprising how jointing translated into a subtle but almost universal step up in quality (how tightly parts fit). I use jointed framing lumber (2by's) for all sorts of "doesn't have to be pretty" work. framing lumber is notoriously unstraight, but that is not a concern if it is jointed.

Bandssaws: I'm relatively new to them. I'm still feeling my way through it. I don't see resawing as a "hust-have" application for intermediate woodworking. You can resaw up to 6" with a table saw (3" from each side) in a pinch. However, if you *need* to cut curves in thick stock you want a bandsaw. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy using my bandsaw, and it makes alot of things easier and more accurate, but thick curves is the only thing that I really could not find another way to accomplish. I would suggest waiting on the BS until the next windfall.

Smaller stuff: Simply buy it as you need it.

Cheers,

Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

That's huge, dude.

Reply to
igor

"Scott Lindars" wrote in news:1102461933.056122.23370 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

This is an aside from your topic, but you're in Broward, right? You do know about International Tool, located on Davie Rd Extension just south of 595? Generally the best prices on serious tools in this neck of the woods.

Anyway, as others have alluded to, how fast do you want to build your shop? You could buy a decent contractors saw ($800) and a 14" bandsaw ($550), and a 6" jointer ($600) and a 12" planer ($400) and use up the $2500 that way; or you could buy a higher spec cabinet saw ($1700) and a really good combination blade and a dado set, and use the the whole $2500 there. Then when you find more money, get the others in high-spec sizes as you can.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

I am in Broward. I will have to check that place out. You must be here to. SWFG member?

Reply to
Scott Lindars

Since I work with wood for a living, I'd buy a big screen TV and a 12 pack.:)

Mike

Reply to
Mike