What threads used on Stanley planes?

Would like to get some taps and dies for the frog bolts, and for the tote and knob. These must be some uncommon metric. Took some to work today and tried to match them up and didn't have much luck. Even had a couple of our machinist have a go at it, again couldn't come up with anything. Should we be having this much trouble figuering it out? Maybe some of you have been thru this and know, if not will try calling Stanley and see if I can find someone that knows. Thanks a bunch.

Reply to
Paul O.

I know Stanley used non-standard threads on various parts, but I can't seem to find a specific number for you. You could probably find out quickly by placing a call to Lori in Parts at Stanley Works at

800-262-2161 (I hope the number is still current; it's the latest one I've got).

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan The Librarian

Many of the old Stanley thread sizes were non-standard. They are not metric. If you can find a set of Whitworth or old English Standard taps some of those may match up.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

Thanks. I have that number and took it to work today to call, but was busy all day and forgot all about it. Will have to try and remember tomorrow.

Reply to
Paul O.

were proprietary to Stanley and didn't match anything. I told her I had broken the bolt to the tote and was wondering if there were different threads used or if one fit all. Apparently all the Bailey's are the same thd. Anyway she asked if she could send me one. I said sure. She wanted to know if there was anything else I needed, and there was, however I didn't feel like taking advantage as I thought it nice that she was going to send a free bolt. So the other couple of things I need I will order. Nice lady to talk to.And the number you gave above is correct.

Reply to
Paul O.

Excellent. Glad to know that she's still there and as helpful as ever. It's funny, the company is basically little more than a garage-door manufacturer (tmPL) these days, but there's Lori still giving personal service like that.

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan The Librarian