Finishing MDF

Paint.

Reply to
Leon

I was dead serious.

Reply to
Leon

I'd paint 'em too. Paint is tough, moisture resistant, and best of all, it covers up the MDF.

A nice, hand rubbed shellac or varnish finish on MDF is still uglier than a sack of a-holes.

No need to thank me.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Short of the two part epoxy one finds on bars and restaurant tables no finish, including paint, will stop moisture infiltration. If they could wood movement wouldn't be the trouble it is for woodworkers. Unfortunately they can't and it is.

If you're selling soon your best bet is not to make steam and don't spray hoses around the kitchen..

Reply to
Mike G

You can put some oil based paint or use polyurethane. It's probably your best bet.

Wally

Reply to
Wally

paint. (you aren't welcome) LOL!

dave

David Duxbury wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Is there a good steam proof, water resistant finish I could use on MDF, I have plastic coated doors on my kitchen cabinets they dont stand up to steam very well, I know you say use hardwood, I will be selling the house shortly and dont want to put out much money thanks. Dave

Reply to
David Duxbury

Reply to
David Duxbury

Leon does have a very creative mind though and comes up with these great ideas on short notice. I think he'd do well on one of them Designer TV shows.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

When I moved to my present house the kitchen cabinet doors were made of fir plywood. I xuxpect that they were intially painted but then someone had removed the paint and tried to stain the plywood. Not only that but the grain on the plywood ran different directions on different doors.

It did not take long to eliminate the plywood doors and replace them with raised paner doors of oak.

Dick

Reply to
Richard Cline

Damn - that was going to be my suggestion too.

Reply to
mttt

Reply to
Mark L.

I guess slab sided doors of MDF would be about as cheap as you can get. But for not a lot more you can get factory doors at the borg made of actual honest to budda wood. Might help you sell the castle too.

--

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

Oh...David! You are going for a Natural Look with MDF? Some paints fit the bill but are usually pretty poor for stopping moisture penetration. Paint would be my first suggestion since you are going to sell anyway. But hey, since you seem to disdain paint, just what look are you going for? Say...how 'bout some of that fake peel-and-stick "wood" look-alike covering? Go figure......

Philski

Reply to
philski

Welcome to Usenet. A thick skin is necessary.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Well thanks to you who sent back positive input, I am aware of the shortcomings of MDF and I do know how to paint, seeing the original doors are covered with some for of plastic Vinyl or whatever it is just maybe somebody has seen a product that would do the job, I post here for sound infomation if possible, and dont need sad comments from others. Thanks D Duxbury

Reply to
David Duxbury

Some genuine humbleness from you might go a long way to improve your positive/negative reply ratio.

Reply to
Hoyt Weathers

LOL! that's a good one, coming from YOU, Hoyt! Humble you ain't!

dave

Hoyt Weathers wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I never claimed to be humble BAD, just good-looking. [grin]

Hoyt W.

Reply to
Hoyt Weathers

ok, Hoyt! Glad to see a post from a man with a sense of humor!

dave

Hoyt Weathers wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave