Strange planes

I read the thread about how you can't find things at flea mkts and yard sales and since it was a nice day I went for a drive. I found a couple of planes, a #4 and a #5, but I don't know what to make of them. The #4 has a real strange adjuster on it, not like the ones that I have on the rest of my planes. It's kind of a screw rather than a knob and it runs a doohickey that slides the blade front to back rather than moving a lever like on my Stanleys.

The #5 is more like a Stanley, at least the way it works is, but it has L. Bailey's Patent stamped in weird places, like inside the adjuster nut and on the chip breaker. It doesn't have any patent dates on the plane, just on the knob and breaker, the lettering is grungy so it's hard to read, but it looks like 1858 and 1867. The chip breaker has the 1867 number on it. It looks OK, the japanning is nearly all there, and there aren't any chips or chunks missing, no cracks, except the top, rear horn of the tote is knocked off. It's got a weird short little knob on it made out of some real pretty wood, and the weirdest arch to the back of the bed where the frog bolts down.

The #4 cost me $22 and the #5 cost me $18. I don't know what to think about them. Maybe I'll be able to see what they look like better after I soak them in some ammonia and sand them down. That should get the brown crud off them so I can see what they look like. I can always make users out of them, what the heck, they were cheap.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave in fairfax

Nice driveby... You suck!

You could always try electrolysis...

Reply to
Silvan

Pictures man, pictures! :-)

Post some pics of your new toys over in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking and maybe we can figure out what you've really got there.

Reply to
Steve Turner

I had an unusual plane cross my path recently. Relatively cheap Craftsman--an older one, but with something I've never seen before. The sides of the body (NOT the sole) are "corrugated."

What's up with that.?

Marko

Reply to
Mark O'Leary

IIRC, in the "Dead-ends" section of Patrick Leach's Blood & Gore is a plane that has corrugated sides (as well as a "wavy" corrugated sole). I think he said it was to strengthen the plane sides.

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

Thenkyew. The Bailey's either a type 4 or type 5. It's a mix of parts, so I suspect an early type 5. Your #4 and #5 are boxed, BTW. They aren't pretty, but they both make nice curlies. I left some with each plane for your examination.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave in fairfax

Dave, the #4 sounds like either a Shelton plane,Shelton CT or a Sargent autoset. May also be a Gage/Stanley adjuster. All are pretty similar. You want it to be a Sargent or Gage..you don't want it to be a Shelton. And, boy I hope it's got a lot of blade left, those blades are impossible to find. walt q

Reply to
walt

Actually it is a Shelton, yeah, I know, but it's OK as a user. I checked the number on it, that was the only marking on it. A Gage woulda been nice, but I'm really not into collectables. The type

4-5 Stanley #5 is about as close as I care to come to that. Frankly I wouldn't have bought it except that the guy had it marked as "unknown maker" and the rest of his stuff was obscenely priced. I've got another Shelton, a block plane, and frankly, it works better than my Stanleys.

I really did post it in response to the "I can't ever find anything" stuff that keeps being posted.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave in fairfax