What protective cover for child's bed

Near completion of a beech pedestal bed for my toy crashing son. We liked the look of oil for the color on the beech and have placed 5 coats of mineral oil on all the visable sections of the bed.

My experience with POLY is limited, only currently I only have a water based polly on hand, which I would imagine would have issue with the oil. My second concern is renewing the surface if I POLY it, wiping oil on will not soak into the wood.

Shall I leave it bare, or some sort of wax coating maybe?

Alan

Reply to
A Womack

nospambob

" snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The mineral oil dries just fine, only a few hours actually and it's ready for another coat.

No experience with Shellac, are we talking a can from the BORG or buy the goodies from Ron Hock?

Alan

Reply to
A Womack

A Womack wrote in news:Xns95478A12B785Earwomack01attnet@127.0.0.1:

Buying goodies from Ron Hock is always a pleasure, and the product is excellent. (I just came in from padding some dewaxed super blond on a box lid...)

But the canned stuff from the hardware store, if it is dewaxed, and freshness dated within the recent past, should work for what you want it to do. Rather depends on whether you want to start NOW, or say, Monday...

BTW, my local Woodcraft stores (yes, I'm spoiled) carry Ron's flake, in several flavors.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Reply to
nospambob

mineral oil *never* dries. it does soak in, though.

Reply to
bridger

Are you sure you aren't calling Danish Oil Mineral Oil???

Reply to
brian roth