followup... how would you finish this ....and Thanks

To follow up a little, I have spent the day with 4 different stains, some wax I have colored with artists colors, and some Olympic antiques finishing oil. As I suspected, the two dark stains I tried are o u t out. The Minwax Ipswich pine and Olympic american cherry are possibilities. I lean toward the cherry(a little more red) , wife likes the pine. Have the first coat of oil on. Have desolved some beeswax (former beekeeper) in mineral spirits and darkend it with artists colors and will use it to see what enhanced grain looks like after a couple more coats of oil. Going to try wipe on poly as well. Interesting process and again a big thanks to all of your for your suggestions Mike in Arkansas

Confusion, then Indicision and now dispair. Stain, Dye, fill the grain, wipe on

or spray. Too many options and not enough experience. None actually as this is a first project. I built the Craftsman style bed from Wood Magazine a couple months ago but instead of quarter sawed white oak I used plain sawed red oak as that's what I had. Reading books and internet searches have multiplied my morosity with conflicting information and unlimited options. So, with the caveits that I am not fond of really 'dark finishes' and that it's a BIG project, how would YOU finish this bed? Dye, Stain, Sealer, Fill the grain, enhance the grain, poly, shellac, varnish, gloss, satin?????? Oh yeah, one more thing is that there is a little color variation in the oak. Some darker and lighter shades.. Looking forward to suggestions and thanks for your time. Everyone have a great Thanksgiving. Mike in Arkansas

Reply to
JMWEBER987