smelly old cabinet

wife inherited a old armoire-about 75 yrs old. veneer marquetry with nice patina on outside. Trouble is, inside has a musty smell. Looks to be some kind of softwood stained dark. I tried 2 coats of waterbased poly on inside but it still smells.

Any ideas on getting rid of smell or sealing it in?

thanks

Reply to
RWK

I would not have put anything on it.

I have no suggestion at this point. In the future:

I would have made a wet paste of Tide brand laundry soap and washed the inside of drawers and the cabinet lightly, not trying to soak the wood. Let stand outside in the sun for a day (several days if convenient).

A potpourri ball of some type to develop a new scent. I would use cedar chips/shavings in an open mesh bag.

2 coats of waterbased poly on inside but it still smells. Any ideas on getting rid of smell or sealing it in? thanks
Reply to
DanG

outside. Trouble is, inside has a musty smell. Looks to be some kind of softwood stained dark. I tried 2 coats of waterbased poly on inside but it still smells.

Take it outside and allow the sun to shine into it for several hours. The UV rays will break down the odor.

Reply to
Phisherman

Wad up some newspaper, and put a box of baking soda in it, then close it up for a day (24 hours or so) If it can get the smell out of apartment fridges that were left full and without power for a week, it should work for that

Clif

Reply to
Clif

I think the suggestions regarding airing out outside and baking powder should work. You might also try wiping down the inside with Oil of Cedar wood which would probably cover the odor and provide garment protection at the same time

Any ideas on getting rid of smell or sealing it in?

thanks

Reply to
Jack Casuso

"RWK" wrote

wife inherited a old armoire-about 75 yrs old. veneer marquetry with nice patina on outside. Trouble is, inside has a musty smell. Looks to be some kind of softwood stained dark. I tried 2 coats of waterbased poly on inside but it still smells. Any ideas on getting rid of smell or sealing it in?

Cat litter is supposed to work, though I haven't tried it.

-- Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK Email: username is amgron ISP is clara.co.uk

Jeff Gorman

here is a list of odor absorbing materials you could try a.. Activated charcoal

a.. Silica gel

a.. Kitty litter

Any ideas on getting rid of smell or sealing it in?

thanks

Reply to
Bob

Other's have posted their smell removal ideas. For sealing it in - try shellac first.

Reply to
patrick conroy

This is a classic use of shellac.

Reply to
brian roth

Jeff Gorman responds:

The type with baking soda in it might just work. We used baking soda last year to rehab a refrigerator after our fire--the clean up crew didn't bother to empty the rerigerator for 2 weeks (in July, no power for most of that time). They then proceeded to clean it lightly. Several boxes of baking soda in open dishes took the smells out in about two weeks.

And believe me, that machine was waaaaaaaaaaaay past musty!

Charlie Self