What projects did you make in HS woodshop class?

Is there you're trying to tell us?

;-) Glen

Reply to
Glen

Make that "Is there something you're trying to tell us?"

;-) glen

Reply to
Glen

We had to outfit our new HS workshop space with storage: shelving, bins, racks, benches, etc. Made lots of box joints, torsion boxes, and combination low shelving/workbench units. Our teacher was a combination designer, foreman and screw up fixer. Those that came after us got to make fancy stuff: decorative boxes, turnings, small tables.

J.

Reply to
John

I remember only going to an 8th grade woodworking class once a week. In it, I made a gravity bookshelf. I think my mom still has it. Funny to think how long it took to make then, compared to now when it might take an hour or two.

There was an exploratory shop class in HS, but not much time spent in it due the relatively large number of shops the school had.

Reply to
Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Sorry to show my ognorance, but I'm not familiar with a "gravity bookshelf". Could you explain, please?

Reply to
Han

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 04:38:13 GMT, the inscrutable "Keith Carlson" spake:

I had Wood Shop and Metal Shop in 1968. I also have a 1916 book by Varnum titled "Arts & Crafts Design" which was originally titled "Industrial Arts Design: A Textbook of Practical Methods for Students, Teachers, and Craftsmen." Tell JOAT there were no pansies back then. ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 12:29:58 GMT, the inscrutable Glen spake:

What, you haven't kept abreast?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It's a board held at an angle by putting a cleat on the underside at one across it's width. The other lower end gets a bookrest on the upper face of said board. In this case, it was three dowels joined at the top with a small block.

Reply to
Lazarus Long

"Owen Lawrence" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@www.thehostmasters.com:

I took shop off & on from 6th grade up... first thing I remember making was a classic pukeyduck, which for some unfathomable reason still sits in the bottom drawer of our entertainment center. Then I moved on to a pencil holder, complete with routed base.

A few years later, I hit the big time :). In high school, got to use a lathe -- never actually made any project with it, just fooled around making various turnings. Shop was pretty varied at that school -- we were also taught welding (I passed, but that's the best I can say). The highlight though was getting to make a cedar sea chest (about 4'x2'x2'), with box- jointed corners & curved slatted top.

Of course, a few years later I gave it to my then-fiance... and another year after that we broke up, but I never did get the chest (get your minds out of the gutter!) back to get to my "true" SWMBO. Oh well...

-Richard, who couldn't bring himself to type "seaman's chest" for some reason.

Reply to
Richard Boggs

Made a chess board out of walnut and maple (still have it, I'm 36 now). A Spice rack that my parents still use, and a wall rack that they still have in their basement!

When I was probably 10-12 yrs old, my dad was a VP for a lumber company. He used to bring home pine cutoffs and I'd build bird houses, all with hand tools. I remember sawing my ASS off. Back then I don't believe I ever heard of wood glue, as everything was held together with big nails!!

I also remember that my neighbor gave me a few shingles to put on one of the bird houses... Man, was I thrilled!

Reply to
Larry Bud

Lazarus Long wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Thanks LL! I've seen them, now you describe it.

Reply to
Han

This thread reminded me about a "safety" film shown in HS metal shop. A sliver of metal was driven to a man's eye by a machine cutting metal, the man was rushed to emergency and to the operating room where the metal was surgically removed (the embedded metal was aluminum, do a magnet was no use). The flick showed a close up of the operation, blood and all, and a boy in the class collapsed, hit his head on the work bench, and got a concussion. Needless to say, it did drive home the importance of wearing safety glasses with side shields. I guess hard hats should be recommended for safety films.

Reply to
Phisherman

It was called Industrial Arts at my high school. Sophomore year it consisted of wood shop. I made a bookshelf. It took all year. I remember it wasn't very square. I think it earned a C grade. I had those shelves for many years after. Junior year was all drafting. Only 2 juniors in the class, myself and one other. All the rest freshmen. Didn't do so good in that class either. Senior year was shop again. More BS than anything else. Did learn about pinhole cameras though. This was in the early '70's. Joe

Reply to
Joe_Stein

Heh...we had a guy faint during a (not so bad) portion of a film in EMT class. He didn't finish the course, decided that blood and guts wasn't his idea of a good time. Nothing like going to a convention where they schedule "traumatic amputations" for right before lunch.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Sadly, a lot of freshly minted EMTs leave the field early after a particularly gruesome event. Can't argue with their choice, but a lot of them could row the boat and let the other shoot the ducks.

We have a 12-year veteran on our squad who cannot stand vomit. Which is pretty much everywhere when you think about it. I just let her drive and make sure there's a towel (deflector) loaded after remaking the cot.

Reply to
George

Thing is, the rates of people quitting for that reason go _way_ down with a post-incident stress debriefing program. But, even with that, there are some that stick with you more than others, eh?

Heh. Maybe ten years ago, we had a guy with an upper-GI bleed. Crew capatain was interviewing him, I was the new guy so I was hauling equipment. Bill asked the patient a question, he turned to answer, and projectile-vomited full square into Bill's chest. Didn't miss a beat, kept up the interview, "...and how long have you been vomiting today?".

Puke, I don't mind so much. Grey matter just oogs me out, though.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Mon, Feb 21, 2005, 4:38am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com (Keith=A0Carlson) asks: Was it a 4-mile walk to school? Uphill both ways?

Afraid it was only going on a mile, and yes, it was walked - rain, sunshine, snow, whatever. I think the only time I got driven to school was the first day. And only about half of it was uphill. Then when I was in the 7th grade we moved, and it was several miles to school, so I got to ride the bus. I was at the end of the route going to school, so got there fast. And, I was at the end of the route coming home, so spent about an hour or more getting home.

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T

Mon, Feb 21, 2005, 7:15am (EST-3) novalidaddress@di\/ersify.com (Larry=A0Jaques) says to say: " Tell JOAT there were no pansies back then.

Hmm, I gradgeeated in '58. They had 'em then. What happened, someone forget to water 'em?

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T

Mon, Feb 21, 2005, 6:38pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@noone.com (Phisherman) says: eye by a machine cutting metal,

That happened to my dad, in the '40s or '50s. HE went to a doctor. He always claimed the doctor "froze" his eyeball, and then scraped the metal out. I can't say he was given to making up stories, so I guess it happened that way.

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T

Only one more month until the snowmobilers quit contesting the right-of-way with (OBWW) maples. You learn quickly why they call them "brain buckets." Question I have is why didn't they use what they seem to have to drive with care?

Reply to
George