What nail size ?????

What size of nail is reccomended for nailing two 50mm pieces of wood together. My drawing states 4mm ring nails but is there a rule of thumb on what length to use.

Regards,

john

Reply to
John C

In your case, less than 100 mm.

You want to penetrate at least half way into the second part. I'd go for about 75 mm.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thats what i thought but thought i'd double check.

Thanks,

John

Reply to
John C

The "rule of thumb" about things to be hit with hammers is quite simple:

DON'T!

hit the nail on the thumb, that is.

For a serious answer, barring special circumstances, the nail has to go all the way through the 1st piece of wood. This places a 'lower bound' on the length. And you _don't_ want it to go all the way through the 2nd piece -- because then the point would be sticking out. this places an 'upper bound' on the length. A "split the difference" approach works just fine, between those limits.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi