what is your one dream project

Dream? My dream project can get started tomorrow night after the Powerball drawing. I bought 2 tickets for the $140M prize.

I'd have a house built, but I'd like to finish the paneled library and the large elegant dining room. There may be a problem with the chairs though (aside from my lack of skills) in that I may be bored making 12 of them. I'd have to do them on a production basis, not one at a time. I just don't like doing the same thing a second or third time.

Space to build them is not a problem though. I'd have a large enough shop (next to the 6 car garage) to handle them on the work/assembly benches. My skills would also improve. I'd have more time to work on them and I'd hire someone to teach me. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Young man, you took the words out of my mouth.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Hmmmm... Do I only get to pick _one_ such project? Well, I guess I'd have to choose a hammered dulcimer. I can envision bigger and more impressive projects, such as the harpsichord I'd really like to build some day, but I could _play_ a hammered dulcimer without taking lessons for 10 years just to reach mediocrity.

As for what to make it out of, I have no idea. More research needed into what would sound good. It's presently too far beyond my means to even seriously contemplate such a thing, and I've done no homework to see what works and what doesn't. I'd want to find the most beautiful combination of woods that would be acoustically functional. Perhaps curly maple or birdseye maple, with cherry or walnut.

Reply to
Silvan

That's so uninspired. You should aim higher than that. Build one half again as big, and make the whole thing out of walnut burl.

Reply to
Silvan

(A) Walnut is significantly inferior as an _aircraft_ *structural* construction material.

(B) The "square-cube law", among other things, would make such a scaling up *very* difficult, if not entirely impossible -- within the constraints of the architectural materials used for the original construction.

(C) It'd be an *incredible* waste of good burl, considering the amount of laminated ply involved.

Now, _veneering_, say the flight-deck *interior* in burl, -that- I could go along with.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi