What is it? Set 536

I need some help with 3130 this week:

Larger images:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Maybe #3130 works as a splint might be used for a broken finger (or maybe there is another reason someone might put it on a finger)?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

3127 Broken tooling.. the loop for the screw is broken.. :-) 3128 Metal lathe cutters. 3129 Suction device 3130 Quarter and a nickle along side a miniature shoe horn for a kid. 3131 balancer for small wheels or propellers
Reply to
woodchucker

3128 - definitely some old hand-ground lathe bits 3130 - looks almost like a pocket 'worry stone', but made of ebony 3131 - a small blade balancer for lawnmowers. Monkey Wards sold them for decades 3132 - a electrical radiant heater... never seen one that shape before! Probably used one of the 'cone' resistance elements.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

3132 looks like a portable light used on a firetruck... old style... Could be mounted on the firetruck or just in the storage area and used for auxilliary lighting.
Reply to
woodchucker

Posting from my desk top PC in the living room as always:

3127, no clue 3128, possibly a cutter for a lathe 3129, no clue 3130, don't know 3131, reminds me a bit of a JC Whitney bubble balancer for balancing tires, the bubble is missing. 3132, portable electric light. Might be for speed drying paint.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Posting again from the desktop PC. I didn't see the size, or saw it and didn't notice. With that size of device, lawn mower blade balancer sounds correct.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

3129: A tool used in glass cutting. See it in action here:

Phil Kangas

We have at least 4 in our station. They actually work pretty well.

Reply to
Steve W.

I enjoyed that video. Thanks.

Reply to
Marc Dashevsky

Same here, I love learning about ways to do stuff.

Reply to
woodchucker
3127 Looks like a saw-set.
Reply to
Leon Fisk

Sounds possible, it was found in an estate of someone who was a cellist but it might not be related to that.

Reply to
Rob H.

Lathe cutting tool is correct.

Reply to
Rob H.

Yes, it's a blade balancer

Reply to
Rob H.

Good answer, it was marked firetruck search light.

Reply to
Rob H.

Rob, Thanks for your reply. It occurred to me after I posted, that what actually looks like a weak spot, actually might enable it to fit between the fingers more comfortably. The fact that it's not strong enough for "work", made the splint guess more likely to me. I'm not sure how a cellist could use it (or why they would want to wear/use it if they didn't have to).

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Good job, I saw the video last week and planned to use it with my answer for the glass tapper.

Reply to
Rob H.

Correct. That leaves the wooden piece as the only one unanswered, and I'm not

100% convinced it has an actual purpose.
Reply to
Rob H.

Posting from the usenet newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking as always.

3127) Broken tool. The screw once went though a complete eye to hold it to a workbench of some sort or other.

The dull knife edge to the right I think is for cutting wire by placing the wire across it and striking it with a hammer. (Probably someone used too heavy a hammer, which is why the mounting eye is broken.

It looks as though a different metal was dovetailed in around the knife-edge on the body, which includes the surface under the knife-edge, so it might be that the edge was to be struck down to perhaps indent something instead of cut it.

The tapered bottom may fit into something like the Hardy hole in an anvil.

3128) This is obviously a HSS tool bit from a lathe.

Each end is ground to serve a particular purpose.

The right-hand end is designed to turn the left-hand side of a workpiece.

I think that the left-hand end is ground to make a shallow cut and produce a nicer finish -- or perhaps to produce a rounded edge at the outer diameter. Lots of good views, but holding it in my hands -- and perhaps actually mounting it in a lathe and trying it.

3129) I wish that the partial end view had been included in the larger images.

Lacking that kind of detail, I think that it is a form of vacuum pick-up tool, given what appears to be an O-ring near the OD of the flat end. There would be a piston in the larger part of the other end which would be drawn back by the movable part of the handle. Perhaps for picking up something like silicon wafers from intergrated circuit processing.

3130) Assuming that this is metal:

This looks like a tool for cutting the surface off the side of an electrical cable. It is curved and placed in the groove, and slid along the length of the curve, slicing off an outer layer of the jacket.

However -- it might be wood (given what appears to be some grain on it). If so -- a particularly hard wood -- maybe ebony, maybe lignum vitae. But I don't know what the function would be in that case.

Perhaps it could be for cutting the end open on a cigar?

3131) At first glance, it resembles a simple wheel balancing device except that it is too small for even wheelbarrow tires which don't *need* balancing, because they don't turn fast enough to be a problem.

So -- I would say that it is for balancing pulleys and gears.

The device to be balanced is set on the step which matches the diameter of the hole, the low side is noted (and likely marked with a felt-tip marker), and a shallow hole is drilled to lighten that side, and it is returned to the fixture to test again -- perhaps resulting in the original hole being drilled a little deeper, or perhaps another hole added somewhere else along the circumference.

3132) A heat gun or lamp. It holds a conical screw-in base (like a light bulb, but with an exposed nichrome heating element in a spiral groove on the outside.

Now to post and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols