What is it? Set 509

I need some help with 2966 and 2968 this week:

The larger images can also be seen here:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2969 -- Cricket cage, used to keep them for fishing bait
Reply to
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

2965 is a bottle opener 2966 looks like the inking platen of an old printing press

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

2968 is an underscribe used to mark seams in hard vinyl flooring , edge cuts on lam-in-place formica countertops , etc . The bottom pin rides the edge , the top needle is adjusted for which function . The slider is reversed in that picture , the needle should be right above the guide pin . -- Snag Floor mechanic for 15 yrs+ .
Reply to
Snag
2967 is a type of Cole drill used to drill railroad rails for connector plates

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

2970 looks like the end piece for an old wooden singletree.
Reply to
G. Ross

Correct

Reply to
Rob H.

Bottle opener is correct.

I couldn't find an inking platen like 2966 on the the web so I'm still not sure about this one

Reply to
Rob H.

Thanks, sounds like a good use for it.

Reply to
Rob H.
    • U
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Den 05-09-2013 12:41, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh skrev:

I'll second this.

Years ago I've made some of these :-)

Reply to
Uffe Bærentsen

(spade like) bits is bottom right. The hooks grab the rail head to support and position, as well as providing bearing for the feed.

Good answer, it was marked "railroad drill" with asking price of $95.

Reply to
Rob H.

This answer is correct.

Reply to
Rob H.

2966 a Hand Cranked Flat Lap?

Crazy Ed

Reply to
Edward Erbeck
2966 - A Hand Cranked Flat Lap?

Crazy Ed

Reply to
Edward Erbeck

I'm glad to say that both unidentified items were solved this week, the answers along with an update from the previous set have been posted here:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

I've no quibble with the identification, but there something about that rail drill that doesn't look any earlier than around the middle of the last century. I'd have expected them to have been motorised by then.

Reply to
Dr Nick

Rob H.:

Regarding 2967, I'd just like to note that although welded rail is indeed the norm on heavily used main lines, and is being used more and more widely, jointed track held together with fishplates is still anything but rare today.

Of course that doesn't mean that this particular tool is still needed much!

Reply to
Mark Brader

Posting from my desk top PC in the living room, as always.

Fun web page. I'm thankful that you take the time. I enjoy these.

. Christ> I'm glad to say that both unidentified items were solved this week, the answers

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

This guy says he started on the railroad in 1976. He didn't see them used, but his father may have.

Western-Cullen-Hayes still makes manual rail drills.

The Other J Burns