What is it? Set 510

I need some help with 2971 and 2976 in this set:

The larger images can also be seen here:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Alexander Thesoso

Rob H. fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

2974 - a cheese curd draining tray?

2975 - I've seen these before... I think several are used at once for adjusting and holding the gap around something (large glazing?) while fastening the item in place. I cannot remember why they have steel handles, though.

2976 - I think the blade has been mounted upside-down on it. It looks like a one-man saw with a means to pull the blade tight to the tree trunk without requiring a lot of leverage on the part of the user.
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I need some help with 2971 and 2976 in this set:

The larger images can also be seen here:

Rob

2972 Meat tenderizer? WW
Reply to
WW

Posting from my desk top PC, as always.

2971, no clue. 2972, That one's going to give me nightmares. 2973, no clue beyond the obvious. Ball peen. 2974. No clue. 2975, hands for a big clock? 2976, no clue.

Well, you got me. Didn't recognize any of them.

. Christ> I need some help with 2971 and 2976 in this set:

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

2975. Made of metal and rubber:

Used by piano tuners to damp a portion of the strings in a set of strings for a note, so they hear only one at a time

Reply to
Joe Makowiec

Yes. They're called wedge mutes.

Reply to
Marc Dashevsky

Joe Makowiec fired this volley in news:XnsA2396E5CEE89BmakowiecatnycapdotrE@78.46.70.116:

YES! I knew I'd seen those in use! I had a piano tuner guy right up the street from me when I got my first house.

That's IT!

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Nope, that's not it

Reply to
Rob H.

This one is not food related

I agree that the blade is upside down, I thought it might be for underbucking but your suggestion sounds good too.

Reply to
Rob H.

Thanks! I didn't have an answer for this one.

Reply to
Rob H.

Excellent! Thanks for providing the name, I found some good references for them on the web.

Reply to
Rob H.

Nope, it's not for use on meat

Reply to
Rob H.

2973: I'm pretty sure is soft face replaceable head mallet... but the soft face material of the head facing the camera has broken off leaving only it's screw in mounting stud.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

The piano tuner my parents hired had these, but the tips were fibrous.

. Christ>>>>

Stormin Mormon

I believe they used felt similar to that used on piano hammers.

Reply to
Marc Dashevsky

I was thinking it was for adjusting the weight of the head. Add shot and you can make it heavier.. not sure why you would.

Reply to
woodchucker

Erik wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.dslextreme.com:

I agree. That was my guess also.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

com/ The larger images can also be seen here:

Rob

2971 seems to be some sort of quick release "clamp" and the shape of the cl amping faces seems might fit onto something like a spare tire or some bevel ed (center?) surface. The end of the threaded rod would attach the unit to the vehicle, trailer or some other transport.

Or for some other similar clamping of two halves, of something, together? For pressing of some two units together, yet able to be quickly released?

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Aha! I was looking for it as a note on the blog site before I got to the usenet posting. Thanks.

Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as always. Which of the three newsgroups are the rest of you posting from?

2971) Two possibilities, depending on the size and the hidden details of the linkage.

a) To pull two objects together with features shaped to fit the trapezoidal wedge shapes. (Not very strong, though, based on the apparent thickness of the metal in the shapes.)

b) They sort of look like the profile of some styles of house gutter -- so perhaps a tool to help in shaping and attaching the ends to some of the continuous formed gutters (made from a roll by a pickup truck-mounted machine.

2972) Assuming that the needles are lose in holes in the brass cylinder, it could be a cartridge for a needle scaler, usually fitted to an air chisel type hammer, and used to remove welding scale from freshly welded joints.

Those that I have seen, however, tended to include the shank which fits into the air chisel.

2973) A hammer with a hard head (facing away) and the provisions for a soft head. The part which unscrews is case into a head made of a plastic or rubber (plastic is usually a transparent yellow, rubber I've seen in black, green, and red), or lead.

Once cast, the head is screwed into the hammer head for use, until it gets too worn from use, at which point the steel core screw is recovered and a new head is cast around it -- or a new head is purchased and screwed in. The casting form of repair is more likely in the lead format. And for that, there is a missing piece -- a mold which closes around the threaded part, and shapes the lead as it is poured in.

2974) For forming decorative patterns on walls or fences. Either

a) It is pressed repeatly into still fresh concrete or stucco to make the pattern (keying the last shape at one end into the first shape at the other end).

b) It is used as a stencil for spraying a contrasting paint around the pattern -- probably with the wire side away from the surface being painted, and the angle is adjusted so there are no shadows of the wires left in the painted surface.

2975) Perhaps for cleaning holes in lab glassware, or in cast metal tools which allow airflow or something similar (e.g. a spray paint gun.) Hmm ... a bit large for the latter use, I think. 2976) Hmm ... no springs visible, just a rope and pulleys.

The teeth look to be for bi-directional wood sawing for green limbs.

If there were a spring forcing the two jaws apart, I could see it being placed between the piece to be cut and another limb, and the spring provides the force to hold the teeth in contact with the workpiece.

Or -- if the toothed edge were rotated to face *towards* the other jaw, the rope could be pulled tight to keep the teeth forced into a piece of wood held between the jaws.

Now to post and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols