What is it? Set 536

Interesting! A relative of an automatic center punch, to deliver a controlled rap to the surface of the glass.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

It's made of wood, the owner didn't describe it as sharp so I'm not sure if it would cut well. It's still a mystery to me.

Reply to
Rob H.

That is totally fascinating. I noticed the cartoon guy in the lower right corner wasn't wearing goggles, and the tiny eye glasses those guys wore didn't look like they had much coverage.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

With a flood bulb, I'm sure they do fine.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The answers have been posted, except for the wooden item, along with two videos, you've probably already seen the glass tapper one, the other shows how the blade balance is used:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Years ago,I did a tune up on a walk behind lawn mower, for a fellow. he was sure the motor cover bolt (which kept coming loose) was the problem why his machine vibrated. I balanced the blade by hanging it horizontal with a nail through the center of the blade. Wow, it was really off balance. One end dropped FAST. Grind the droppy end, and try again. When I finished, he was very impressed how smoothly the mower ran, compared to off balance. Nail driven mostly in the wall makes a good balancer.

Thank you for the time you put into this. Lot of fun.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Stormin Mormon fired this volley in news:y4MUu.5386 $ snipped-for-privacy@fx11.iad:

Betcha don't own a file card either, do you? (I know... I know... just wiping a file on your pants leg works fine. )

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I do own a lawn mower blade balancer, but it's too much work. Had a JC Whitney tire balancer, but it was pure garbage and broke immediately.

As to file card, I had one a couple decades ago. Now, I use the wire wheel on my bench grinder.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Stormin Mormon fired this volley in news:W1NUu.17763$ snipped-for-privacy@fx03.iad:

I'll bet you do, Stormy! I'll bet you do!

! Thanks! That's one of the funniest things I've seen you post!

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

When I was looking for the balancer video I saw a couple of them that were similar to this, one guy just stuck a screwdriver into a vise instead of using a nail. Seemed to work just as well as my bench top balancer.

Reply to
Rob H.

Clamp a knife in your vise with the sharp edge up. Set the mower blade on the knife edge. An old table knife works good. I have a couple of balances like what you posted in this weeks set. The knife in the vice works as good or better...

Reply to
Leon Fisk