What is it? Set 427

Egg candler is correct, the round part on the cover is made of mica and was probably a lot more clear when it was new.

Reply to
Rob H.
2478- I have one ! The mica window is to see if the Rooster did his job ! Knocked up the hen !

Jerry

Jerry OHIO

I put #2 diesel in mine to keep the mosquitoes away

Jerry

Jerry OHIO

I think they still sell them.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

More specificly for picture framing bradswhich somewhat resemble horse shoe nails ~3/4" long with a flat back and tappered shaft.

Reply to
grmiller

IIRC the eggs are hatched in an "incubater" and thebaby chicks are kept warm under the hood of a "brooder" This unit would be the heat/humidity source probably used in conjunction with a thermostaticly controled venting system for the incubator.

Reply to
grmiller

A BROWN BOTTLE OPENER!

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

You don't "twist" those tools, you wiggle them back and forth in the same plane as the tines.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

2478 - still
Reply to
Harry Vaderchi

Well beer bottle obviously; metal cap on glass bottle e.g.

didn't think it was a corkscrew!

Reply to
Harry Vaderchi
2474: Slave collar?
Reply to
Harry Vaderchi

Lee Valley does:

Scott Lurndal

The leather handle has a picture of a landscape with a moose, I thought it could be for an outdoorsman but maybe it's just a general purpose combination tool. Also the wooden ball is still unidentified but the rest of the answers have been posted and can be seen here:

Rob H.

Wasn't it me wot said that?

Air ye a jurdie mun? (other brown ales are available!)

Reply to
Harry Vaderchi

I realize that I owe you some pictures of the mortise lock latch. Havn't been to where I have my mortise lock stored.

The wooden ball looks a LOT like the ink balls used for old movable type printing press.

If you open this photo in your browser:

In the foreground is a wooden railing that keeps the public back. The corner of the railing points to a black table, and on the table are two such ink balls.

This is the page that hosts the picture I sent:

Grandin Building is about 15 minutes drive from where I live.

.

The leather handle has a picture of a landscape with a moose, I thought it could be for an outdoorsman but maybe it's just a general purpose combination tool. Also the wooden ball is still unidentified but the rest of the answers have been posted and can be seen here:

Stormin Mormon

In the foreground is a wooden railing that keeps the public back. The

Functionally, I think it would be a disadvantage for an ink ball to be a full sphere or to come apart.

It has been suggested that this was a form to make medicine balls. Originally, they were only approximately round. They were sewed inside out like pincushions.

More recent medicine balls had polar caps, suggesting that they were sewn on forms. The caps I've seen are much too small to remove the four largest wedges of the mystery form. Small wedges were more important for making basketballs because it was important to remove them without cutting the reinforcing cords.

The four large wedges suggest to me that it may have been to make pinatas. You'd stick the stem in a hole in your bench, wax the wood, wrap it with paper mache, remove the top by cutting a latitude line larger than the Arctic Circle around the stem, remove the form, and use more paper mache to stick the top back on. A pinata didn't have to be strong like a basketball.

Reply to
J Burns

In the foreground is a wooden railing that keeps the public back. The

plates. They are stuffed very firmly with wool and the skin is leather. I don't see any way that a wooden ball could work. I liked the pinata idea - the segmented wooden ball must be for taking it apart after some type of ball was formed.

Reply to
DanG

No problem, if at some point in time you can send some photos, great, if you never get around to it that's fine too.

agree with Dan that the ink balls were stuffed with wool and were not solid wood.

Reply to
Rob H.

I don't know for sure how they make medicine balls, but I would guess they would sew the top half first, then flip it over to work on the bottom, when half of the bottom panels are complete they could pull out some wedges and rotate the leather, then continue in this manner until complete.

I figured that most round pinatas were made by using a balloon for support. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, but if you find any sources on wood pinata forms I'd be happy to take a look at them.

Someone had told me that 8" was too small for a medicine ball but I found one that size on this page:

Rob H.

If you find any sources showing medicine balls being sewed on wooden forms, I'd be happy to look at them. Here's one from the 1950s:

then, they weren't perfectly round. It seems to me it would have been much easier to sew without a form, especially if one used a sewing machine.

Balloons became available about 1889, for 4¢ apiece, which would be $1 nowadays. Before that, what would they have used except wooden forms? Even after balloons were available, making dozens of pinatas for annual festivals would have been cheaper with wooden forms, and the wooden form would have made it easier to cut the pinata open to fill with candy.

Reply to
J Burns