What is it? Set 418

This answer is correct. As I also mention on the site, I'll be posting on Wednesday next week. Five of the six in this set were answered correctly, the band saw vise was a difficult one:

Rob H.

The bandsaw brazing vice (#2421) is interesting. Is there a photo that shows the lettering clearly? And one showing the other side? I think I see mention of a patent.

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

I don't have a photo of the other side, someone sent me a hard copy print through the mail which I scanned to get a digital image, text on it reads E C Atkins & Co Indianapolis, pat. Apr 20, 1889. That date is a Saturday, since most patents were issued on a Tuesday, the date might be incorrect. I did some patent searching but couldn't find it.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

I really think that it is for keeping the amount and signature from being modified, not for keeping the check from being submitted a second time.

In part, because I was focusing on the arch, not the gap and clamps along the bottom where the welding or brazing would be done. I don't see the tongs which you mention in the posted answer.

I *can* see the arch being used to hold the freshly brazed blade in position for filing off any excess brazing material, so it will feed smoothly though the bandsaw's blade guides.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I had read that somewhere but just now I couldn't find it again, so I took that part out.

I changed my wording on this answer to make it more clear regarding the tongs. Still no luck finding a patent for this vise, I was hoping to use some patent drawings in the answer.

Thanks, Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

I didn't succeed either, but I did find a few things.

  1. EC Atkins is Elias C Atkins, and he founded a saw manufacturing company in Indianapolis, with lots of patents. For instance, 342,416 and 413,012.
  2. His employee George S Black invented a Brazing Machine (pat 353,245, issued Nov. 23, 1886) for the making of band saw blades.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

After seeing your patent for a brazing machine I did a search on that term and found one that looks just like the photo on my site, maybe the inventor sold this patent to Atkins:

date on the vise was Apr. 20, 1889 but the patent says Apr. 22, 1890. I would think the ends of the bandsaw would overlap when brazed, not sure why they're shown with a gap between them on the patent. Looks like DoN made a good guess on the arch being used to hold the bandsaw while filing.

Thanks, Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Yes. A confabulated date.

It would be an artist's impression, and it may have been clearer with the gap. In practice, the ends would be ground to form a scarf joint, as silver brazing isn't quite strong enough for a plain butt joint to work.

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

O.k.

I see that you found the patent and the drawings there help clarify its use greatly.

Today, if I were using it for the intended purpose, I would probably use a set of resistance soldering/welding tongs instead of pre-heated ones (which would require a nearby forge fired up. :-)

Reply to
DoN. Nichols