What is it? Set 342

1966

Could it possibly be used by the water company for locating leaks? I've seen them lifting a cover in the road and putting a rod down and placing an ear to the other end. The plastic section could be to avoid any chance of electrocution.

Reply to
Periproct

I think you're right about the tubes being threaded on the far end. This photo was sent from Australia, the person who sent it to me does not own the item but was just sent the photo by someone else.

The rest of them have been answered correctly this week:

Rob H.

That's an interesting suggestion, I'll ask the person who sent the photo to see what they can find out about where this thing came from and who used to own it.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Looking at the picture, it is one of the metal rods that doesn't have a thread. If I'm right about the electrocution bit, I guess you'd want the plastic section above ground and below the bit you are holding.

Reply to
Periproct

I just got some further information on it, the person who sent the photo said "...but I have been told that the rods are definitely solid & so is the bell shaped end."

Reply to
Rob H.

Interesting. That makes it much more of a puzzle.

Perhaps one of the weird "medical" devices from the early 1900s?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

1966: A barbed wire tensioning device.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

"Rob H." <

1966...... Solid rods? Then perhaps it is a mechanics stethoscope? phil
Reply to
Phil Kangas