What is it? Set 332

Need some help with the unusual shovel this week:

Rob H.

I don't specifically recognize any of these this week, but ignorance doesn't prevent guessing.

1903 Obviously an angle brace. Looks like it might be useful for sparkplugs in V-8 engines.

1904 Gas burner, such as might be used in a gas range.

1905 Closet organizer, for belts?

1906 Measuring shovel, to put a specific quantity of hops into a beer mash?

1907 Tobacco drying sheds?

1908 Clip to hang something (paintbrush) on a wall for drip drying.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

1903: Brace for drilling angled holes in handrails for stairs? 1906: Coal shovel

1907: Corn cribs

Reply to
Jesse

1904 - gas burner head 1905 - necktie rack 1907 - corn crib 1908 - some sort of one-handed clamp or holder
Reply to
joeljcarver

1908 is a "giant clothes-pin"!
Reply to
Bill
1907 - Guessing: First one, a chicken coup or sheep shed and the second one, a hog's shed. Seems to me, they would each house some sort of animal, not a product.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

1904 -- Predecessor of our modern electrical poles which help distribute electricity?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

1905 -- Hanging (animal) hides to dry?
Reply to
Bill

Hi,

Number 1903 might be a plumbers tool to turn a helix for cleanig stuffed pipes?

Reply to
Waltraud Kraft

Someone else already got them, but I agree that;

1904 some type of gas burner,

1907 corn cribs

Norm

Reply to
Nahmie

1906: It could be used to scoop muck and water out of a trough.

It also looks like an improvement over the common tin fire shovel. If you use a little shovel to remove ashes, it's hard to put the ashes into a bucket without raising dust. With 1906, you could carry the ashes outside before dumping them into a bucket. It will hold a generous amount and keep them from spilling or blowing. It looks pretty stable in case you need to put it down.

A little fire shovel is inadequate to carry coals to start a fire. With

1906, you could reach into a stove with a hot fire and carry a generous amount of embers securely.
Reply to
J Burns

Yes, it's from an old stove.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Could be, I'm still looking for a reference for this tool.

This is correct.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Correct, for use in confined space when there would be interference with a regular brace.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

1903 Hand Drill 1904 Burner 1905 Bacon Hanger
Use for salt or gravel 1907 Used to dry tobacco 1908 Coat hook that folds up

Robert

Reply to
Robert

Perhaps 1906 is a coal shovel used on a steam locomotive? phil

Reply to
Phil Kangas

1906: Ash Removal Shovel 1906: Corn Crib

Everything Else: Clueless

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

1903) I believe that I've seen something like this used to crank awnings out and in at stores. Built around an old brace for a "brace and bit" style drill set. I don't think that the gearbox as shown is large enough to handle the torque needed to drive the usual drill bit which would be used.

I would be interested in seeing more detail for the "chuck" end, which I suspect slides onto and off of the awning crank fitting.

1904) This is a burner for a gas stove. Made of cast iron, and the flames float just far enough above so the paint is not scorched off. 1905) Hmm ... if stainless steel, it could be for hanging beef jerkey to dry/cure.

If not stainless steel, then it could be for stretching fabric as it dries.

1906) My guess here is that it is for either shoveling coal into a running fire (perhaps for a locomotive steam engine), or for shoveling out hot embers and ash for shutting down such a fire. 1907) For smoke curing meat? 1908) Looks like a one-way clutch for some kind of flat belt.

The belt pulled in the direction of the handle will move fairly freely, but pulled in the opposite direction, it will grip. Not very strongly, based on the size of the spring, but it will grip at least.

Of course, if that is not a spring, perhaps it depends on hand power to clamp -- perhaps by bending it into the sharp step on the opposite end from the handle and taper.

Now to see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

1903 Angle brace for drilling holes in awkward places. 1904 A gas burner.

1907 corn cribs.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.
1903 - corner brace 1904 - Gas Burner 1905 - Tenterhooks? 1907 - Larger one looks like a corn crib.
Reply to
Scott Lurndal