What is it? Set 327

The first device is probably fairly difficult, so instead of suggesting the specific use for it feel free to guess which profession would have used it:

Rob H.
1875 No guess yet, but when faced with an unknown device with an electrical connection I'd look at the other end of the cable. How many wires? What size wires? What type? Just 2 heavy wires might indicate a lamp or heater. Several light wires might indicate an instrument. I'd also check for continuity/resistance among the cable wires and to the contacts on the black surface.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

1878: Prototype of the "Cone of Silence" used by C.ON.T.R.O.L.
Reply to
Dave Balderstone

1875- "Reno LePaute" made radio and telephonic equipment, so it's in that genre...

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67
1873 is a watchmakers tool God knows what it is for. Poising balance wheels or setting dial feet or something. Those guys have a billion different tools for each part of the watch movement.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Dave Balderstone fired this volley in news:110320100648160299%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca:

1878 is ALMOST that. It's a stereo "audio zone" speaker for a museum display. The thing is almost inaudible, except when standing directly under it. Then, you get a perfect stereo presentation of the soundtrack.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Paul K. Dickman" fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@news7.newsguy.com:

I believe it's a lens-maker's assembly stand.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

RobH sent:

1877 -- The carbide lamp and flask of carbide suggests these are part of a miner's or tunneler's kit. The reversible breast drill might have been used for drilling small charge holes.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I was thinking that the flask contained black powder but that could be incorrect. These particular tools were not used for mining or tunneling.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Safecracker's toolkit. On topic for rec.wood, note that the breast drill is adapted so as to pack flat.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Andy Dingley fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@t20g2000yqe.googlegroups.com:

If that's correct, then the flask is definitely NOT black powder, which would be useless in blowing a safe. On the other hand, the "pitcher" with the long spout in the upper left could be used to drip nitroglycerine in through a bored hold.

I think that's it, Andy.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Hmm, knob slides over, something gets held between the brass electrodes...

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

This answer is correct.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Yes, these items were used by a safecracker, though I'm not sure of the purpose of the device at the bottom of the photo, looks to be some type of heater.

If that's correct, then the flask is definitely NOT black powder, which

The text below is from the link that follows, it mentions the use of black powder in opening a safe:

"For gunpowder (blackpowder) to be charged into a mechanism such as this would require that a hole be drilled through the door plate. This would have been done using either a belly brace or ratchet drill.

This was not always necessary however as in the early days the keylocks were capacious enough to accept enough black powder, which, being detonated in such a confined space could remove the lock cap and bolt allowing the boltwork to be withdrawn."

On the other hand, the "pitcher"

I think both tools at the top were for blowing black powder into the keyhole or a hole drilled in the safe.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

1873: fence tool 1874: fence tool 1875: "galvanic" fence too, used to measnure the tension in the wires 1876: heckler 1877: ??? something to do with fences, pretty sure 1878: cone of silence
Reply to
Zz Yzx

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

1873 - This looks like a watchmaker's fixture of some manner to me. Perhaps it's used to locate where holes should be placed in dials for the shafting that moves the hands? 1874 - Very strange looking lever; perhaps it is used to open a can or bottle of some kind (in Alaska)? 1875 - I'd guess this to be part of a searchlight or similar light fixture, perhaps using an arc light (for which the holders are adjustable). It would seem that there ought to be a reflector or lens attached. 1876 - Grate thingy clamped around a gas burner to support a pot, making a stove of sorts? 1877 - Would this be used by a telephone installer/lineman? If so, there are a few key pieces missing (like a soldering iron and wire cutters). The glass vial would presumably contains carbon granules for the transmitters. 1878 - Homemade looking parabolic microphone, used to record or monitor sounds directly underneath while rejecting sounds from other directions.
Reply to
Andrew Erickson

Dave Balderstone fired this volley in news:110320101210399968%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca:

Yep... they've got exactly that model in the Colonial Williamsburg visitor's center around an A/V display.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

They would seem to make a fine set of safecracker's tools.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

1874. This looks like a gauge to measure sheets of paper or card stock. 1875. The name Henry LePaute is associated with lighthouses. The device may be a gimbaled lighting device. The electrical contacts on the front could have held a lamp element. 1876. Perhaps something that attaches to a fence post to prevent animals from pushing against it.

Carl G.

Reply to
Carl G.