What is it? Set 310

Right. In the old days, even fairly small engines used spark ignition. My uncle, who held several model boat records and built his own engines, had a supply of miniature spark plugs from Germany during the '30s -- which, of course, dried up.

But I remember seeing those tiny engines in airplanes during the '50s. The spark coil was almost as big as the engine, and resided in the fuselage around where the cockpit would be.

Before glow plugs, the alternative was compression ignition -- pseudo diesels. Of course, they're still around.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

FWIW, I have an O&R bicycle motor -- probably around 30 cc or so. It's a bit noisy for a bike motor but the old sucker still runs great. I don't think it ever saw much use.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

E Z Peaces fired this volley in news:hdiql8$dla$2 @news.eternal-september.org:

In the early days, pylon racers.

Interesting factoid: A lot of the larger displacement model engines are going back to spark ignition. The solid-state ignition similar to what Briggs came up with for theirs works nicely in the modeling sizes.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

(smacks head!) Oh, That kind of dope!!

Reply to
LDosser

1774 just has the look of something used to build shoes. A "last", or something. I dunno.... just guessing.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

On 11/14/2009 3:19 PM Zz Yzx spake thus:

It does look like that--they look like shoes, in fact--but that's not their purpose, of that I'm certain.

Nobody seems to have a (good) clue what these things are. Waaaah.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl