What is it? Set 307

Next week I have plans on Thursday so I'll be posting on Wednesday afternoon, here is this week's set:

Rob H.
1753: Sharpening Steele

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

1753 - sharpening steel

1757 - photographic timer (probably Gralab)

Reply to
LDosser

On 10/22/2009 1:30 AM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

That's what I was going to guess (though I think I'd drop that last "e")[1], though it's hard to tell without being able to see the surface of the rod, which would have fine ridges (like a big file). I remember we had one in the house when I was growing up, that my dad used to sharpen the carving knives and such.

[1] OTOH, maybe that's Remington's brother?
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 10/22/2009 1:20 AM Rob H. spake thus:

a cord, by squeezing the two metal cups together.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

1753 A steel for sharpening carving knives. 1757 Darkroom timer.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.
1758 is a battering ram used by police forces to break down doors.

Pierre

Reply to
pierre

"Rob H." fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@news5.newsguy.com:

1755 looks like a wheel spoke tenoner 1757 is a Graylab photo enlarger timer 1758 looks like a very elegant steel fencepost driver

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Mine gets used almost every time I cook.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

1754: Door bell?

1755: Rope braider?

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

1753 - Knife steel, used to smooth the cutting edge burr on a knife.

1754 -

1755 -

1756 -

1757 - Looks like a darkroom timer. Does it have a lever on the back switching it from 1 hour to 1 minute?

1758 - Looks like a forcible entry door ram. Ours isn't nearly as pretty though!

Reply to
Steve W.

I was thinking just the opposite.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

On 10/22/2009 7:58 AM Bill spake thus:

The opposite of what? Do tell.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 10/22/2009 11:08 AM David Nebenzahl spake thus:

Ah, so; after someone else suggested this might be a doorbell, the light went off. What I thought were "cups" could be bells.

Still seems like an awkward, roundabout way to do it, though.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

The hand that's pointed at 57 takes one minute to go around, and the numbers are seconds. The hand that's at 7 is an hour all the way around, and each tick is one minute. IOW, it's minutes and seconds, 59:59 max. The knob in the middle turns the second hand to the # of seconds you want, and you set the "hour" hand to the # of minutes you want by moving it by that little tab bent forward at its end.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Hmmm... a string-operated doorbell. What will they think of next? : )

Reply to
Bill

It's not a doorbell, the rope in the front probably went to a foot pedal, steppiug on it would have brought the metal parts closer together. The base of it was most likely attached to a table or workbench.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Pretty common state of affairs in England/Europe in the 1800's ... the bell strings, ropes and pulleys in a multi-story house look like our electrical rough-in's today.

Reply to
Swingman

Yes, you sharpen knives with a stone and use the steel as you said. Done properly, it's a two step operation.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

It makes perfect sense..it's funny how you can evolved ideas for granted. The closest I got to learning anything like that in school was learning about the "dumb waiter". Do they still put "counter-weights" in new windows?

Bill

Reply to
Bill