What is it? Set 239

I added an extra item this week since someone submitted a tool that is similar to one posted a couple years ago.

Rob H.

1347. Strap on shoes for horses. I'm guessing for mud. 1350. Hand cuffs.

Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

1344 Rifle rack 1345 Cleaning solvent dispenser 1350 Leg Irons?

Howard Garner

Reply to
Howard Garner

that they'd tend to pack more tightly than a cube.

RicodJour
1344 - Gun rack

1345 - Protectoseal safety funnel/can presumably for recovery of flammable liquids evidenced by the flame arrestor on the funnel

1346 - cube of magnetic balls

1347 - Horse snowshoes or mudshoes?

1348 - opener for large containers or drums?

1349 - Pierce-o-matic?

1350 - Shackles for prisoner?
Reply to
Woodie

Woodie fired this volley in news:%W4bk.236554$yE1.43993 @attbi_s21:

No. It's a dispenser for flammable solvents, like alcohol.

One presses down on the top to dispense a small amount of solvent into the dish, which you can then take up with a rag, etc.

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

likely on the first and last items.

1344 - Possibly a gun rack, with the barrels going through the square holes and the butts of the stocks resting in the larger gaps between the blocking in the tray. The compartment underneath would presumably store ammunition and accessories. Such an open design would probably not be generally accepted today, when guns are kept carefully controlled under lock and key for the most part. 1345 - small parts cleaner? Solvent in the lower drum part, and operating the top tray pumps a little up over the screen for removing grime or whatever. 1346 - It's a cube of ball bearings (magnetic?). Why would one construct one? Maybe to illustrate a crystal lattice pattern for chemistry instruction, and maybe because it's just neat looking. 1347 - Snowshoes for horses? 1348 - This could be a tire iron and wheel rim reforming tool. I'd guess the slot might be to manipulate valve stems...but that's just a guess. Maybe also to hold the iron down or add a handle or strap for additional leverage. 1349 - Picture frame assembly jig? though I can't quite see how it would actually be used for that purpose.... 1350 - Arm iron to immobilize a prisoner.

Now to read the other guesses

Reply to
Andrew Erickson

be part of something else, like an artist's easel. It looks like something has been broken off it.

1345: Looks like a scale, but with no indicator it wouldn't work too well. Unless the indicator's on the part we can't see. 1346: It's a square of magnetic spheres. 1347: A horse snowshoe? 1348: Opener/pryer of some sort. Don't know about the slot. 1349: Pinion/gear puller, adjustable for various gear sizes 1350: Manacles
Reply to
Matthew T. Russotto

1345 is a parts washer. - Used to see 'em' in auto repair shops.
Reply to
MadDogR75

My first thought was "umbrella stand"...

--

Reply to
dpb

I think 1349 is a hand puller for watches, clocks or gauges. Seems too light for gears or chain plates.

1345 is definitely a cleaning solvent dispenser/recovery device as others have said.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

1348 is a fireman's tool. Useful for wrenching hose connections, prying open doors, removing hydrant caps. The slot is for shutting off service gas valves at the meter to reduce fuel in a fire situation. 1350 appears to be a Lily handcuff, or a reproduction. This design was made infamous as it is the style of handcuff that was used on the conspirators in the President Lincoln assassination.

Carla "If things don't improve soon I may have to ask you to stop helping me."

Reply to
Carla Fong

Late, but here's my guesses since I actually have some this time!

1344: Umbrella stand 1345: The gismo that folks at car washes use to get cleaner/wax/etc onto a pad to put on your car trim/tires/etc (I don't know it's official name, but it's exactly what they use) 1350: If the center somehow twists and/or the ends can somehow open, then leg catchers/restraints for animals or possibly human handcuffs/restraints.

(via rec.woodworking) Jason Buckler Marietta, GA

Reply to
Jason

1345 - Protectoseal safety storage container, "FM approved"
Reply to
Ixnei

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Reply to
Gunner Asch