What is it? CCXXVIII

I added an extra item this week since one of them is a different version of something that I posted last year:

R.H.

"R.H." wrote in news:480709a5$0$31754$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Been a while since I tried this, so here goes:

1276. Looks like a percussion cap "capper" - stores and applies caps to nipples of percussion firearms

1277. Ice hammer

1278. A steel sole plate from a shoe or boot

1279. A pidgeon "deflector" to prevent birds roosting

1280. Some sort of vice or clamp

1281. A sub-bass clef - invented just after the sub-woofer

1282. not a clue on this one...
Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang
1276 Capping tool, to place percussion caps on the firearm nipple.

1277 Looks like a climber's ice-axe, but seems strangely shaped and likely to be dropped.

1282 Powder proof tester. To check or verify the strength of gunpowder. Didn't we have another one of these some time back?

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

1280. is a jewelers ring clamp. It's missing the wedge. Here's the plastic version.
kfvorwerk

1282 is an Eprouvette, used for testing the force of black powder.

Every batch varies some, so this was used to characterize the loads for a new batch.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

there is some kinda trick or special purpose function for this particular item that I don't know about.

1280 is a handheld vise. Jewelers use them. Although I have seen vises like this used in other settings. My grandfather used something like this for wood carving and tieing flys.
Reply to
Lee Michaels
1278 One half of a "horseshoe" for a cow

Reply to
Jesse

1280 - Ring holder or such to secure items while being "soldered". Missing the wedge that goes in the "other" end. /mark
Reply to
Mark F

1278. Ox shoe

Like a horseshoe but made to fit the cloven hooves of draft oxen

Reply to
John Husvar

rather, since cigarette lighters hadn't been invented, just a device to strike sparks.

Reply to
Matthew T. Russotto

1276) Hmm ... perhaps a chalk-line holder? Interesting the covered keyhole though. Needing an external key to rewind the line does not make sense. Too easy to lose the key. 1277) Given the spike at the end of the handle, I suspect that it is for climbing around on an ice field -- perhaps a glacier -- and the steps in the "claw" are either to give a better grip (with gloves, of course), or perhaps to saw an opening for ice fishing. 1278) It looks as though it is either part of a horseshoe, or designed to be held in the fist to increase the force of a blow.

In the latter application, there would be leather straps threaded through the holes to go around the fingers and keep the device from slipping out of the user's grip.

1279) Perhaps to catch the pages feeding from a copier or laser printer? 1280) Some form of workholding clamp. The jaws on one end are closed by placing a wedge in the other end. 1281) Perhaps for hooking and opening a manhole cover or something similar? 1282) Another example of a black powder tester, based on a flintlock mechanism.

Now to see what others have said.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols
1276. Capper. For holding/dispensing percussion caps. I think maybe this particular style is for percussion revolvers?

1277. Ice axe? Seems like too simple an answer.

1278. Ox shoe, or a shoe for some other cloven hooved beasty.

1282. Looks REALLY familiar. Like from last year? Gunpowder tester.

Reply to
BillM

Rather clueless, as usual, but still guessing wildly...

1276 - It seems you put a bunch of something in via a hole that presumably is underneath the hook in the middle of the side, and then get it back out in neat measured units at the pointy end, possibly by manipulating the slide that seems to be on the other side. Perhaps this holds and meters out shot (#2 shot) or powder for a gun.

1277 - Hammer, maybe for fence work--the toothy part opposite the hammer face would probably work well to lever out staples by degrees, or possibly tighten wire (formed in a loop) by degrees in a similar manner. No idea what the pointy end opposite on the handle would be used for, though, nor (if it's a tightener) how you'd possibly go about fastening the last staple while keeping the tension.

1278 - Old cutter blade from a bypass pruner or similar tool?

1279 - Stand for stuff; mounted horizontally as shown, this could hold folders, letters, etc. in arrangement on a desk. I rather suspect, though, it's intended to be mounted vertically, and be used for either (a) CDs or videotapes, (b) neckties, collars, or some other bit of clothing; or (c) plates or saucers. If I had to choose, I'd go with (b).

1280 - No real idea whatsoever. (Usually, in situations like this, I'd venture into a description of the mechanics of the thing in the hope that either it would trigger some good thoughts, or else that people would not notice I never actually mentioned what it was, just what it looked like. This is too simple for that to work, though.)

1281 - Half of a (fairly ornamental) latch to hold a gate or window shutter open, maybe? It looks vaguely familiar...but only vaguely.

1282 - Gizmo for testing the power and quality of black powder by noting how far the charge forces the toothed wheel to rotate.

Now to see what other people have suggested.

Reply to
Andrew Erickson

#1280 Ring clamp used by jewelers

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

in article 480709a5$0$31754$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com, R.H. at snipped-for-privacy@cinci.rr.com wrote on 4/17/08 1:26 AM:

1276 - sewing machine - bobbin of thread goes inside and thread out the hole to the needle 1277 - ice climbing tool

1278 - no idea

1279 - drying rack for skanes (sp?) of wood that¹s just out of the dye bath

1280 - jewelers¹ clamp - missing its wedge, Leather jaws prevent marring the piece of jewelry being clamped. Stone setters often cut notches just below the leather pads - on the outside of the clamp - so they can support the clamp in a V cut ³bench pin² when they need stabile support.

1281 I¹m guessing its for a scale of some sort

1282 - a failed brain surgery saw for cutting through the skull? Teeth in the wrong direction - which is one reason why the idea failed.

Reply to
charlie b