what can a waterjet cut

seems that it can cut just about anything not sure why wood is not on the list but would expect that it could easily cut wood

Acrylic Alloys Aluminum Bacon Brass Broccoli Bronze Cake Carbon Carbon Fiber Cardboard Celery Ceramic Chicken Composites Copper Foam Glass Granite Granola Bars Inconel Kevlar Laminates Lettuce Marble Meat Paper Plastics Plexiglass Polycarbonate Polyurethane Porcelain Romaine Lettuce Rubber Stainless Steel Steel Stone Textiles Tile Titanium

Reply to
Electric Comet

It can easily cut wood, but typically its not just water. Its water and fine abbrassives. I suspect the water and abbrassive grit would both have a negative impact on the media and on second work.

For the cost I'd either run with CNC laser or CNC router for wood. Laser for thin stuff like balsa wood kits and some types of engraving, and router for everything else. Now go look up the relative costs. I could have several decent CNC routers for the cost of one decent CNC waterjet.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

for hard materials they do use abrasives for paper they use water only and the stream diameter is less than a hair and the paper does not get wet

do not know if wood cutting does the same or requires abrasives

was looking at a used waterjet not to purchase it is listed at 31000 but i think that was a 5x10 foot bed

a 5x10 cnc bed would be more than 31000

Reply to
Electric Comet

Not to mention the wet mess. The platform that the wood sits on channels the waste water but typically not before getting water all over the work piece.

Water and finish cut wood makes for a terrible cut edge.

Reply to
Leon

A NEW 5x10 for a fair unit is going to only run about 15000-20000. A cheap import can be had for a less. A top of the line might run in the mid or even high 30s. Some even in the high 40s, but it has a lot of extra stuff that a water jet doesn't really need like automatic tool changers 15hp vacuum pump, zoned vacuum hold down table, and more.

I've run across a fair number of used CNC routers I could compare to, but that should make the point.

I can buy several NEW cnc routers for the same cost as one NEW cnc waterjet. Best part is the CNC router will do 3D work.

Anyway, you are comparing apples to kumquats.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

thought new 5x10 were a lot more so waterjet is more as you say but a waterjet cnc is more versatile than a traditional cnc

you were the maker of comparisons

have seen ethcings and engravings done via waterjet in 3d

Reply to
Electric Comet

You were comparing new of one to used of another. That's never a fair comparison.

Where a water jet really shines is in stone and tile work.

P.S. Only 30K for a used waterjet would make me pretty nervous about its condition, but I seen people get lucky before so who know.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

not sure where fair comes into play as it really is just about how much to spend to get some capability

glass as well carbon fiber etc

see the original list

the 3d stuff looks pretty good too

it is used and on cl so one has to become informed to make good choices

Reply to
Electric Comet

You made a judgement that was incorrect, and now you are distorting to try to win a trivial point. Best of luck to you.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

turns out plenty of people are using a waterjet to cut wood

with and without abrasives where the abrasives are used for thick material

Reply to
Electric Comet