What are the best gifts for Home Improvement type people

I would like some suggestions for good gifts for men or women who like to do home improvement, repair, ect......... I would like to ad them to our web site. We don't sell anything, list gift ideas. Our site is

trees

Money, "ALWAYS" makes the best gift.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote in news:CcIZi.45217$eY.903 @newssvr13.news.prodigy.net:

Gift cards aren't as good as cash. Ever read the restrictions on gift cards? You can't use it for this or that, or if you plain don't use it they'll deduct money from it!

Cash, OTOH, states: "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private".

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Not in my state. They never expire in my state, either.

**
**

B A R R Y

I had a birthday recenlty (thank you, thank you). SWMBO complained that she doesn't understand enough at LV to be able to go in and get something that I'll actually use. She's likely right, even though I have a wish list on their site.

She got me a gift certificate there, as she's done in the past. I'm thrilled with it. Gives me an excuse (as if I needed one) to go into the store and get what I want/need/see/droolover.

Reply to
Tanus

"Puckdropper" wrote

For "debts" maybe, but stores do not even have to accept cash these days. Apple stores will no longer sell iPhones for cash ... you must use a credit card to purchase one.

... and with the state of the dollar, thanks to corporate greed/politicians, it may have to be gold before long.

Reply to
Swingman

I totally agree with the gift card idea. I have a whole selection of junk tools that people thought I might want....

Reply to
Dave W

Sun, Nov 11, 2007, 6:53pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Leon) doth wisely sayeth: Money, "ALWAYS" makes the best gift

The gift that shows you really care, and the color goes with anything. .

JOAT Viet Nam. Divorce. Cancer. Been there, done that, got over it. Now where the Hell are my T-shirts?

- JOAT

Reply to
J T

Depends on the state you're in. California, for example, cannot deduct money from your card, nor does your card ever expire. The only restriction I've ever seen on a gift card is that you cannot exchange it for cash.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Money is cool, but not very personal, which you want a gift to be, IMHO... A gift certificate, if properly chosen, shows the person that you thought enough of them to know what they're interested in to personalize the gift..

On my last b-day in the States, the neighbors got together and gave me a $100 gift certificate for Lowes... they know that it was the BORG that I went to for BORG kind of things and I really appreciated it... OTOH, some folks would have wondered why they HAD to go to Lowes..

We mail certificates to a lot of family members, from places as varied as Circuit City to Amusement parks... It's sort of nice to get a little note or email thanking us for the things they got and knowing that we didn't just give them something that's going to hide in a closet...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

eBay, with no reserve works for me!

Reply to
B A R R Y

Brian Henderson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The situation sounds like it's definately changed in the last several years.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

a rollodex with all the proper emergency numbers in it!

skeez

Reply to
skeez

There's a problem with giving money though. It gets misdirected much too easily. A woodworking gift card however tells the person that their hobby is appreciated and that you want to support it. Money is an impersonal gift, a woodworking gift card shows that a person's interests are recognized and that you're paying attention to them.

The biggest advantage to a gift card bought by children, friends or SWMBO's is that it eliminates them buying the gift receiver a cheap, unwanted or otherwise useless product or tool. I believe that's the one aspect that most woodworkers appreciate.

Reply to
Upscale

"Upscale" wrote in news:a4e9$4738fcd9$cef88bc5$ snipped-for-privacy@TEKSAVVY.COM:

That's exactly what the retailers want you to think too. I'd much rather see cash with a note saying "Use this for your woodworking." rather than a gift card for some place that's either inconvienent to get to or just not in your area.

This way, you've personalized the gift, and allowed the reciever much more freedom. (The reciever is also freed to purchase things that traditionally wouldn't make good gifts... like screws and nails.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Possibly, but we've still got a difference of opinion I guess. When I buy a gift card for someone, I've researched enough to know the location is close to them and I know they want something that outfit has for sale. As to others that *may* not be willing to do the same, sure, go give the cash. And when it comes to retailers, I for one don't believe all are the same. Lee Valley Tools comes to mind. If I'm planning on buying one of their gift certificates, I know they're one company for which I don't have to do any research and a gift card from them will always be appreciated.

Reply to
Upscale

I got a surprise at Lowe's last year... I used a gift cert. to buy a nice T-8 fixture for my shop and got a defective one... I took it to the return section, expecting them to get me another fixture or a credit slip, but they gave me a cash return..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Thanks.. you said exactly what I was trying to say yesterday.. much better with a LOT less words.. ;-]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I think it depends on what the person's interests are and where the certificate is from.. Also, having received both cash and cards over the years, in good times and bad, too often a cash present that you hope will go towards something fun will get mixed in with the bill paying money.. Not a bad thing, because it helps pay the bills, but not usually the intent of the gift giver..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

driver (note, while the principle is the same these are different in detail from an impact _wrench_)--what pushed me to it was a screw that was about an inch shy of seating that wouldn't turn in or out for love nor money and there wasn't enough clearance to lean into it with a brace, so I decided to try an impact driver on the basis that if it didn't do the job I could always return it--turned out that it seated the screw (on which the head was already buggered up) right down. That's something that a lot of "Home Improvement/DIY" types would not think of getting for themselves and who once they have it will love it.

If you're getting one though, it's probably best if it works on the same "system" as any existing cordless tools, i.e. if he already has a bunch of 18v deWalt then an 18v deWalt would be the one to go for, rather than, say, the Makita that uses a different battery.

Reply to
J. Clarke