Website Addition

On my web site, should you be interested, you can find a new section within 'Dovetails Detailed' - More Advice for Choppers.

Reply to
Jeff Gorman

Jeff, After looking at your article on chopping out dovetails, I reviewed my videos of Tage Frid and Frank Klausz. I noticed that, when making his first chop, Frank starts a little bit in front of the scribed base line, allowing for the fact that the chisel will be forced back into the line. His subsequent chops are made with the bevel facing the base line. The chops are not made straight down, however. The chisel is held at about 30 degrees from vertical. This method forces the waste up and out of the cut rather than compressing the wood as is shown in your demonstration.

Dick Durbin

Reply to
Olebiker