Way OT- Mozilla Firefox help

My copy got corrupted and two downloads later I'm using Internet Explorer and hating it. Can't get to Firefox Forums as reader is broke. Is help out there and if so where? Have considered another related program but Firefox works or did for me.

Reply to
nospambob

What's it (not) doing? My email address is real if you want to do it there.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

If you have a utility such as System Suite 2000 that will allow you to clean out and restore your registry, that would be my first step.

It is a broad axe technique but it usually works for me.

Delete the entire FireFox directory, then go back and clean up the registry and get rid of all the broken links, etc.

After that, try downloading again.

HTH

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Reply to
Jonah

Get a friend with a high speed connection to download it to CD/DVD, then install from the CD. Besides, if you have IE, just download another copy.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

open Outlook Express again!

I just updated from W95 to W98SE. Yes, I know I'm slow :-).

W98 has completely wiped out my address books and inbox/sent/trash folders. Even restoring them from a CD backup doesn't seem to help. Any ideas?

Luckily it didn't destroy Gravity :-).

Reply to
lgb

Understood, completely.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

uninstall then download it again,,., I Do use Firefox as a browser...use Forte Agent as a newsreader... To be honest never had a problem with either,,,, Both Free versions

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Me, too. Great combination.

Except that I paid for agnet to git the spel cehcker, beacuse without ti, and with my speling and tpying skiills, my possts wouuld lokk like this.

Reply to
alexy

what are the symptoms?

does it load, the window open, and then just 'not work'?

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

that's a nasty upgrade. do yourself a favor and go buy another hard drive and install the new OS on that. then mine your data off of the old one.

Reply to
bridger

If you cannot successfully uninstall and reinstall Firefox to the default location try a fresh install to an alternate location.

Windows is so insanely stupid that when you reinstall software it will not overwrite files that are already there (except maybe for your user data files) so that if you are doing a reinstall to correct corrupt files it doesn't work. Windows was written to make it very difficult to fix corrupted programs, whether on purpose or through gross incompetence is anybody's guess.

Reply to
fredfighter

Reply to
nospambob

Reply to
nospambob

I seem to remember a checkbox on install for "use firefox start for home page" I always uncheck that. Sounds like what it was looking for.

I had no problem opening

in IE. I've only used the forums from firefox, though. Where are you getting stuck. I can't believe they would make it not work in ie, since they want to be able to attract current IE users. And to support Thunderbird for non-firfox users.

Reply to
alexy

Try starting firefox from the command prompt with firefox

-profilemanager and create a new profile (it's usually a corrupt profile that messes firefox up). You can then reimport your bookmarks from the old profile which is in documents and settings/usrname/application data/mozilla/firefox/profiles/oldrandomprofilenamr/bookmarks.htm that should do the trick.

Reply to
damian penney

Chances are that your files are still there somewhere. You'd get better results posting this question to one of the Microsoft support groups.

For about the cost of the W> In article , snipped-for-privacy@home.Gov says... >

open Outlook Express again!

Reply to
Jonah

I don't use MSFT OS's anymore so DAMHIKT, but 'regclean.exe' is your friend. Delete the Firefox directory and then apply regclean (Google for it ... it's on a MSFT site somewhere.)

You should be done. Reinstall Firefox.

I just went from Fedora Core 2.0 Linux to Mandrake 10 Community Linux and lost nothing. Nothing.

Bill

Reply to
Bill C.

Normally I'd agree with you about reloading Firefox, but it and Mozilla have a major security problem at the moment. You'll have to turn off Java, Javascript and about everrything that makes it useful versus IE to stop the problem. Hopefully a fix will be in the next version, the new one doesn't have a fix.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

If the 'just not work' includes "don't even get the I-beam cursor, when clicking on the URL entry panel" then -- BINGO! I ran into the *exactly* the same problem. Took some digging to get to the bottom of it, but the culprit was "something" clobbered in the 'extensions' I'd selected. *AND* 'uninstalling' Firefox does *NOT* remove the extensions, thus a re-install _automatically_ picked the problem child up again.

Here's the fix:

First, "uninstall" firefox, if you haven't already.

Next, do the following: Start->Search->files and folders

Search for the name Mozilla

You should get several matches. One of them will be a folder under "Application Data" (the exact path depends on the OS version, and what 'username' you're using, if applicable)

Now, open Windows explorer (Start[right-click]->explore), and go to that folder. In it there will be a folder named 'firefox', click on that.

In that folder, will be a folder named "profiles", click on _that_.

In _that_ folder will be a folder with a 'garbage' 8-character name, probably the only thing in the folder. click on *that*.

In *that* will be a folder named "Extensions", click on THAT (hang in there, we're almost done! :)

In THAT folder, click on 'Edit->Select All" from the menu bar. then click on "file->delete" from the menu bar. confirm that you want to send things to the recycle bin, if asked.

Close Windows Explorer.

"empty recycle bin".

Run the Firefox installer program again. It should be on your hard-disk "somewhere". do a "start->search->files or folders" for Firefox*setup*exe and you should find it.

If not, and you cant get to the regular Firefox download site, there's a copy of the 1.0.4 installer at

(If you're fool enough to trust an executable from a random web-site. :)

Reply to
Robert Bonomi