Walnut and Black Walnut Lumber?

Are Walnut and Black Walnut lumbers the same? I have Walnut lumber that are lighter, darker and some mix and I read or heard somewhere that you could darken the light color walnut by applying Hydrogen Peroxide on its surface, is that possible?

Thanks for the information.

Reply to
WD

Maybe. Black Walnut is certainly Walnut and Walnut could be Black Walnut. Black Walnut is also known as American Walnut. There are many different kinds of Walnut.

Reply to
Leon

Can get a bit different walnut if you're getting old orchard stock. They graft English on Black Walnut roots. Black walnut is the basically inedible nuisance that produces such wonderful purple/red/brown wood.

Reply to
George

Sun, Nov 21, 2004, 1:49pm george@least (George) burbled: Black walnut is the basically inedible nuisance

Inedible? Nuisance? You don't know what you're talking about.

JOAT Measure twice, cut once, swear repeatedly.

Reply to
J T

Um which of the woods is edible? LOL

Reply to
Leon

Ya beat me to it JOAT. SWMBO would kill for some of them for cooking(nut bread, etc.) They *are* a pain in the butt to collect, remove the husks, and then they take a long time drying. Finally, they are REALLY miserable to crack & get the meat out(many nooks & crannies inside that shell, meat comes out in tiny pieces)!

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Thanks.

I bought about 150B/F mix lengths and widths "old Walnut" from a woodworker who gave up the trade sometime back. Some of them are dark, light brown while others are mix brown and dark. My question is, am I correct to say it's "Black Walnut" without misrepresentation?

Further, can I applying Hydrogen Peroxide on the light brown walnut to dark darken the surfaces?

Reply to
WD

I believe that there is another type of Walnut that comes from California but most likely you probably have Black Walnut as its color does vary from piece to piece and in many cases on each board.

I know that some mills will process walnut differently to even out the wild color variances but I am clueless as what HP will do for you. Since HP is relative cheap and available try some on a scrap piece and see what happens.

Reply to
Leon

Black walnut is the fruit, and it poisons and messes the ground with husks and shells,contains meat which is almost impossible to get out of the shell, and has a bitter taste.

That's why we grow the "English" walnut - to eat.

Reply to
George

Yeah, right.

Reply to
George

Yeah, I was just jerking your chain... ;~)

Reply to
Leon

"George" wrote in news:41a10471$1 snipped-for-privacy@newspeer2.tds.net:

Uneconomic. Difficult to farm. Highly prized for cooking and flavorings.

And there's one maybe 80 ft tall, in my nephew's yard, that will likely need to come down next year. I've already got the sawyer lined up. ;-)

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

"Leon" wrote in news:_n7od.22724$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com:

's maybe 100 bf of this in my wood rack now, air dried, with excellent figure. It's waiting until I get good enough to be worthy of the challenge.

Make haste slowly.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

"patriarch snipped-for-privacy@nospam.comcastDOTnet" "George" wrote in news:41a10471$1 snipped-for-privacy@newspeer2.tds.net:

He is talking about the nut vs. the actual wood.

Reply to
Leon

Yeah, Claro Walnut was what I was trying to remember.

Reply to
Leon

It's still considered Black Walnut,.IIRC.

I got about 150bf of the stuff sitting in my shop waiting on me to get off my duff and build a couple of tables and some trivets for Christmas.

Reply to
Swingman

No, I think Claro is different animal. From my understanding it is found mainly in California.

Reply to
Leon

Sun, Nov 21, 2004, 3:45pm snipped-for-privacy@madbbs.com (Norman=A0D.=A0Crow) says: Ya beat me to it JOAT. SWMBO would kill for some of them for cooking(nut bread, etc.) They *are* a pain in the butt to collect, remove the husks, and then they take a long time drying. Finally, they are REALLY miserable to crack & get the meat out(many nooks & crannies inside that shell, meat comes out in tiny pieces)!

We always put 'em out in the driveway (gravel) and ran over them for a few days, the picked them up, put in in one of theose net orange bags, and hung that in the garage for awhile. We used a hammer and a chunk of railroad track to crack them, then a nut pick. Very tasty tho.

JOAT Measure twice, cut once, swear repeatedly.

Reply to
J T

Sun, Nov 21, 2004, 4:16pm george@least (George) Black walnut is the fruit, and it poisons and messes the ground with husks and shells,contains meat which is almost impossible to get out of the shell, and has a bitter taste. That's why we grow the "English" walnut - to eat.

Actually, I believe it's a nut, not a fruit. I never saw it "poisoning" the ground. If we didn't get out there and get the nuts when they fell, the squirrels did, and left no husks or shells around. The meat is no problem getting out, once you've got the nut cracked, you just need a nut pick. I've never experienced any bitter taste.

I would imagine the reason "English" walnuts are grown is because there's more profit from them, it sure isn't the taste, they're the last nut I'd choose. Also, they're much easier to crack - I usually just take two at a time, squueze them in my hands, and crack one. I don't much care for their taste tho; plus, I find they often taste slightly bit bitter.

JOAT Measure twice, cut once, swear repeatedly.

Reply to
J T

Mon, Nov 22, 2004, 3:45am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Leon) says: No, I think Claro is different animal. From my understanding it is found mainly in California.

Remember, google is your friend.