Veterans :

Ahh.. 2 of my least favorite folks... McNamara took away or M-14's (real rifle) and gave us the Mattel M-16.. I know that the one's that my kid uses now are ok, but the early ones that we "beta-tested" got a lot of folks killed.. real POS..

Met "Westy" a few times but wasn't allowed to tell him that he couldn't use WWII tactics in Nam..

Loved Bradley's (supposed) quote when he was asked if he would continue Westmorelands's "hearts and minds" strategy.. "It's been my experience that if you grab someone by the balls, their hearts and minds follow"

Never been able to prove or disprove that quote, but ya gotta love it..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Funny you mention that... brought up a flashback..

I was on light duty in Long Bien when he had his show there and had the best experience of my "career"... Drove Barbara McNair to the show..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I've heard of Iraq referred to as "Vietnam in the sand" but disagree..

My fear is that it seems more like the "US version of Ireland" and we'll be there forever.. I sure hope I'm wrong..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

For years, had a framed poster on the wall that read:

"When you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow."

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Hey, McNamara was no fool. Do you think that he _wanted_ any Army that he was in charge of to have rifles that had a hope of putting a hole in him?

That is a good one. And I've been of the opinion for a while that our big mistake in Iraq was trying to win "hearts and minds" before first making it abundantly clear to _everyone_ there that their asses had been kicked. Although I'm not sure that Saddam was sane enough for be able to understand that concept.

Reply to
J. Clarke

The problem with our stratigy in Iraq is that most people are still of an anti-Vietnam mind set.

BTW: In my opinion McNamara should be set in front of the wall and be subjected to a couple dozen marksmen.

Reply to
David G. Nagel

that is probably the actual quote, Lew.. Mine's filtered through 40 years of interference.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis