Vertical Panel Saw

For me getting a panel saw was the same feeling as getting my first router.

I remember when I could actually put a round over on something now, I was totally stoked!

Rich

Reply to
Rich

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 20:03:07 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Well, I went to an Oz dealer (not knowing US zip codes, and the US dealers all se4emed to want email requests for price) and that one's Aud$10,700. Probably guess at US$5,000 +)

It weighs 600lb!

***************************************************** It's not the milk and honey we hate. It's having it rammed down our throats.
Reply to
Old Nick

Well, unless I turn out to be a missed long lost relative of Bill Gates, that would put it out of any price range I'd ever consider for a saw. I'd guess that most people go with a tablesaw, because panel saws aren't mass produced enough to bring the prices for them down to what some might consider a reasonable level.

My manual wheelchair is the same thing. $3000 for what it cost new. Put three or four of them together and you've got the equivalent in funds for a small compact car, but there sure is a hell of a lot less engineering in those chairs than there is in the car.

Reply to
Upscale

Upscale notes:

IMO, there's a heavy gouge factor added to every piece of medical equipment sold today. I can recall paying for my own knee surgery and getting clipped--and I use that word advisedly--for $38 for a 6' long Ace bandage.

When my mother was alive, the hospital whacked her 10 bucks for two generic aspirin and couldn't understand when she told them where to put their billed-in donation: I really loved that one, because they didn't ask if you wanted to donate, they billed it and waited for you, or your insurance company, to delete it. Mom had 2 things going: she was an RN who worked nearly 50 years, including several as acting hospital adminstrator, and she was raised during the Great Depression. I'd love to have 5% of her fiscal handiness.

Charlie Self "Democracy is a process by which people are free to choose the man who will get the blame." Laurence J. Peter

Reply to
Charlie Self

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 20:03:07 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Actually that's not one of their lowend saws at all. It's middle of the range. But as you say, it is the first one to offer 1/64th cutting accuracy.

For a mere (probable) US$2500 or so (Aud$5500), you get 1/32, with max cut 4' by 8'.

***************************************************** It's not the milk and honey we hate. It's having it rammed down our throats.
Reply to
Old Nick

snip

snip

Hey, Chuck, got a date or issue for this reference?

Dan

Reply to
Dan Cullimore

,,, but the charge includes installation!

Reply to
--={Flyer}=--

,,, but the charge includes installation!

Reply to
--={Flyer}=--

FWW #153, Winter 2001-2002, pp16.

===== Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. ===== {remove curly brackets for email}

Reply to
Chuck

Well, aside from the obvious (the sheet goods have the short side vertical) I'd love to see the saw operator reaching up nine feet or so to make a cut. Tough even for Shaq.

===== Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. ===== {remove curly brackets for email}

Reply to
Chuck

Actually a guide for your circular saw(hanging from that pipe, i used hinges ) made from a sheet of heavy commercial arborite 16''wide x 9'6"long, two strips of oak lined with UHMW polyethylene glued on the arborite, and the entire thing locked in at the bottom will give you a cheap accurate panel saw that takes only a few inches of wall space. Pop the sheets behind the guide on a rail attached a foot above the floor, lock the guide in and cut.

Mine is behind my bandsaw so it take no space at all when not in use. I can actually cut a full 8 feet perpendicular, and virtually any angle as well by clamping the sheets at an angle behind the guide. To do this you need at least a ten foot ceiling because my saw travels DOWN the wall. The saw drops in at the top of the guide and because of the poly guides it really works well. Because I use a Porter Cable saw there is not much dust as I hook my shopvac to the sawdust port on the saw. Only draw back is you need something to stand on when cutting full eight foot lengths.

Reply to
kenO

I use the wall behind my DP and bandsaw. When cutting a sheet it covers a doorway as well. But when no in use takes zero space and actually stores two or three sheets ready to cut. I have to roll out my bandsaw to use it.

Reply to
kenO

I have a small sturdy step made for this purpose. Once the saw is in the guide it requires very little handling. I was using a trigger lock and a switch in the cord so I could start and stop the saw with my free hand but found it was not necessary. The worst part is eating the sawdust coming down on you. I solved the worst of that.

Reply to
kenO

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 14:54:58 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@jamming.com vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

PMFJI.

This is a home-built panel saw? From the WW plans?

What sort of accuracies do you get from it, OOI? The ones that you buy, as you may have seen in this thread, that get 1/64" are very expensive.

TIA