Vacuum Clamp built into workbench?

I finally got my vacuum bag system set up (mucho thanks to joewoodworker.com). I've done some veneering, and now I'm thinking about making a vacuum clamp.

I had the thought that I could drill a hold through my solid maple bench top and thread an NTP male quick release onto the bottom. Then take a piece of MDF and drill a hole though it. Put some neoprene tape along the edges on both sides. Then whenever I want to vacuum clamp something, I'd blow out the hole to clear any dust/debris that might have collected, attached the vacuum pump, put the MDF over the hole, and the piece to be sanded/routed on top of the MDF. Then turn the pump on (the pump is 3cfm continuous duty rated).

Am I missing something? Ideally I'd have a foot switch to release the vacuum pressure, but as far as I can tell it should work. Thoughts?

Reply to
Bestest Handsander

This is exactly what we had set up once upon a time for routing with a hand held router. Your thinking is flawless.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

It sounds like this would work great. You could make various sized pieces of MDF for clamping various sized boards.

Joe in Denver My woodworking website:

Joe Wilding

Don't use MDF - it's much too leaky. Instead make your block of UHMWPE (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene). It's available from most woodworking ssources. It's not cheap but it /works/.

You don't need to drill your workbench to do this. I have a web page at

that describes how to build the kind of clamp you're describing.

BTW, I use an old recycled refrigerator compressor to provide the vacuum for my CNC router. It works /well/ (and the price was right!)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

MDF works just fine if you finish it. I used spray lacquer on mine. I drew a vacuum last Saturday and the piece is still locked down as tight as can be. Based on my experience, you should incorporate some type of release valve. I will probably re-design mine so that the vacuum that holds the mdf to the bench and the vvacuum that holds the workpiece are two separate lines.

Reply to
David Chamberlain

The two-line approach sounds good. I think I might have to build a few more 'pucks' to play with. I normally use multiple pucks to hold a workpiece; and for production runs have had to make a mask of 1/8" hardboard with cutouts for the pucks to keep them from shifting when the workpiece is removed. A second line would make that unnecessary - but would double the amount of tubing in the work area; and would require a second vacuum source.

I started out with UHMWPE and have never had a problem; but know a number of people who've used MDF and seen poor-to-terrible performance. I suspect that they just didn't seal the MDF as thoroughly as you did.

Reply to
Morris Dovey