Using Nfilter to filter all Google.com posts?

Can anyone tell me how to use Nfilter to filter all posts from Google.com?

Thanks,

David.

rec.ww FAQ

David F. Eisan

One of these oughta work:

*@posting.google.comX-Complaints-To: snipped-for-privacy@google.comX-Trace:posting.google.com.*

Doug Miller

rec.woodworking drop message-id:.*@posting.google.com

Doug Miller

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 23:30:11 GMT, "David F. Eisan" pixelated:

Close your newsreader, open Nfilter, select Edit/Filters from the menu, and type Google.com instead of sexzilla.net

Also see:

How do I filter someone who keeps morphing? If someone morphs to avoid kill-files, then you need to find something consistent about their headers that doesn't change from post to post. You may need to combine two or more common elements in their header to achieve this.

Say I changed my From field on every post, but you know I always post from sexzilla and I always post with Agent 1.5/32.451. You also know that nobody else on sexzilla uses this version of Agent. In this case you could filter me using the rule:

  • FLAG:KILL-FILE NNTP-Posting-Host:*.sexzilla.net X-Newsreader:*32.451

See also 3.8 Can I combine filters?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry,

I want to get rid of the Phil Forskin guy. I am not a computer person. Can you tell me what I need to put in Nfilter?

Thanks,

David.

Reply to
David F. Eisan

Hey, David, I posted that for you last night already. In case you missed it:

rec.woodworking drop message-id:.*@posting.google.com

Doug Miller

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 12:02:52 GMT, "David F. Eisan" pixelated:

You went to his sites, didn't you, silly boy? See Doug's post for the answers unless this, too, was a troll.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Sucks that this guy is ruining it for those of us who use Google news (I've used it since back when it was Deja)...

Reply to
Mike Reed

There may be other ways of dealing with the problem, besides dropping everything that comes thru Google. Nfilter supports scoring, for instance, and that could perhaps be used to separate the regulars who post thru Google from the trolls.

Anybody else post thru Google?

Doug Miller

I set up a Google filter earlier this evening and caugh at least half a dozen legitimate posts so I disabled it.

However, given the traffic tonight I may just have to say "sorry" to the good guys and put it back into play.

NB: Not using Nfilter.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I use it from work. Having NFilter get rid of crosspostings has been blocking most of this junk.

  • drop xref:*:*:*:*

I agree that using nfilters scoring is probably the best way to go.

-David

Agreed. I post through Google because it's portable AND free. I work in a large organization and it's not always clear where I'll be when I check-the-wreck at lunch time; but most any terminal will have a browser. That said, Google's interface has become almost unusable due to the volume of idiot's. Looks like I'm going back to a conventional news server -- maybe I can call it "retro" and pretend I'm back in the

80's! The whole concept of DeJa was just too cool even though their interface lacked a lot...

hex

-30-

Reply to
hex

A 'higher precision' approach is to use the "NNTP-Posting-Host" header, and dump anything where the first 3 numbers match.

I currently drop anything that is excessively cross-posted, and have three of those address-ranges blocked.

The only 'noise' I see is 'delayed' reponses to trollish posts coming out of those three blocked address-ranges.

As with woodworking, "having the right tools is half the job" (or *more*)

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Can you tell me how to make this work

I wrote a rule that says this:

  • drop NNTP-Posting-Host:123.456.*

and i cant get it to work... any ideas?

dickm

Reply to
dicko

First of all, Nfilter reads its filter file only at startup. If you added this filter after starting the program, it won't see it. Click on Stop, then Start, to make it read the filters again..

If that didn't do the trick, click on Edit | Configuration | General, and make sure that the box next to "Enable Regular Expressions" is checked, then stop and start as above.

If it still doesn't work, try this instead

  • drop NNTP-Posting-Host:.*123\.456\..* then stop and start as above.

Doug Miller