screw pre-drill size

I've got to put some screws into expensive oak cabinets.

When holes are pre-drilled for screws, should the hole be the size of the shaft or perhaps slightly smaller?

Reply to
p-j

slightly smaller than the shaft, as you said.

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

There's a table of pilot hole sizes for screws on the following page:

For example, the pilot hole for a #8 screw in oak would be 3/32".

Reply to
K.-Benoit Evans

Hello there,

Can you please explain how to pre-drill, I only know how to drill...

Thanks,

David.

rec.ww FAQ

David F. Eisan

p-j wrote: Group: rec.woodworking Date: Thu, Aug 28, 2003, 8:13am (EDT-1) From: p snipped-for-privacy@postzzzmark.net (p-j) I've got to put some screws into expensive oak cabinets. When holes are pre-drilled for screws, should the hole be the size of the shaft or perhaps slightly smaller?

****************************************************** I would suggest that you buy a set of tapered drills, complete with collar stops and countersink bushings, in #6, #8 and #10 sizes. The ones I have are made by Fuller and include a wooden block to store them. I believe that I bought them from Rockler and they were inexpensive. Lacking these, select a drill for the srew thread that is slightly less than the root diameter (use a number drill, not a fractional sze). You also will also need a drill the diameter of the unthreaded shank. If you are using flat head screws you will need a countersink. Do not try to use screws in oak without a lubricant. Use beeswax, not soap which will cause the screw to rust and stain the wood. I regularly us #2 brass screws in oak jewelry boxes and haven't broken one yet ( I say with fingers crossed)! Peace ~ Sir Edgar =F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8= =F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8
Reply to
Sir Edgar

You would think you would know these things by now David..

When you drill a board and pull the bit out a bit to clear the chips out, that is predrilling. When you slide the bit back in the hole and continue to the desired depth, that is drilling.

Reply to
Leon

Have you tried starting earlier?

(another) David