Using a router speed contoller on a lathe

I have an old Craftsman mono-tube lathe. Can I use a router speed controller to add varible speed to it? It has a 1/2 horse motor, I'm not sure if its a universal or some other type. Has anyone tried this? I don't want to damage the motor.

Thanks,

Renowood

Reply to
Renowood

That would be an induction motor, and, no, I don't think that's going to work.

But really... that's not exactly a high-end lathe, you know. Is there some reason that the four speeds it already has is not enough for you?

Reply to
Doug Miller

It might mean less belt changing. I want to upgrade and was looking at the VS jet mini but that would be more of a sideways step and not an upgrade. This mod would get me a little more versitility.

Renowood

Reply to
Renowood

Almost with out exception a universal motor is noisy when compared to the induction type motor. The typical universal motor speed control does not work on an induction motor.

Reply to
Leon

Don't think you'll damage the motor, but you may blow your speed control to kingdom come if it's the wrong type. As I found out when I used a speed control for drills on an induction motor by mistake: Poof!

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

I DAGS using different terms and found that it will not work. So thanks for all the help.

Renowood

Reply to
Renowood